Shittest tourist destinations in the world

i know this is 8 months old, but it is one of the Telegraph's most viewed articles today (for some reason).

anyway, a survey has revealed the shittest places to visit. quite who the people they asked actually are, i would love to know:

Eiffel Tower most disappointing tourist spot

The sights voted most disappointing around the world were:

1) The Eiffel Tower
2) The Louvre (Mona Lisa)
3) Times Square
4) Las Ramblas, Spain
5) Statue of Liberty
6) Spanish Steps, Rome
7) The White House
8 ) The Pyramids, Egypt
9) The Brandenburg Gate, Germany
10) The Leaning Tower of Pisa

The sights voted most disappointing in the UK were:

1) Stonehenge
2) The Angel of the North
3) Blackpool Tower
4) Lands' End
5) The Princess Diana Memorial Fountain
6) The London Eye
7) Brighton Pier
8 ) Buckingham Palace
9) The White Cliffs of Dover
10) Big Ben.
the pyramids? one of the most disappointing tourist attractions in the world?

all i can say is that obviously, none of the idiots surveyed have ever been to the fucking Giants Causeway.

We went to see the Pyramids in 03 stayed at the Mena House and we found the constant harping of the locals to flog us something and the restrictions as tourists were we could go was what disappointed us. The men with rifles was a bit daunting to see at a tourist attractions as well (but understandable considering the location) The actual pyramids were amazing.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
It sounds like the sort of list that some ill-educated Chav might come up with...

B_AND_T

MIA
Book Reviewer
They forgot Portsmouth!

I see it is an old list - but I think that Lapland adventure over Christmas seems to have taken top UK spot.

BandT - went to Pompey for the first time in a decade last week - good call!

B_AND_T said:
They forgot Portsmouth!
You can't blame them for leaving Portsmouth off the list, I've done my best to forget it for years...

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Milton Keynes! Really should have to say no more than that.

'7) Brighton Pier'

There is no such thing as Brighton Pier. Of the two piers in Brighton, the Palace Pier is thriving and the West Pier fell into the sea a few years ago, after a fire. Which one do they mean?

8) Kin Ell !! no one mentioned Hayling Island or PlymouthI spent a year there 1 weekend :lol:

Nignoy said:
8) Kin Ell !! no one mentioned Hayling Island or PlymouthI spent a year there 1 weekend :lol:
huh :?

Good sea fishing marking in the summer though :D

Edited to add: Folkestone. Enough said

theoriginalphantom said:
B_AND_T said:
They forgot Portsmouth!
You can't blame them for leaving Portsmouth off the list, I've done my best to forget it for years...
I spent over 30 years trying to forget the place and then Mrs Bonzo, a savage, spiteful and vindictive beast, wanted to move near there to be by the Grand children - nasty, ill-mannered, spoilt little shoites.

World sites
the Acropolis
Paris - The rest of France is bearable.
Gib and the amazing w*nking monkeys
Marbella - throughly nasty and full of cheap gangsters
Jerusalem - dump and if you saw the way the Palestinians get treated you'd know why they're up in arms
The leaning tower of Pisa - why can't it get on with it and drop?
Venice

British Disasters
Lands End - how the feck did we allow that to happen?

I noticed this thread earlier and feel I must respond. I apologise for being such a pedant, but it does annoy me that people don't properly read the artcles that are posted.

Shittest?
Portsmouth?
Milton Keynes?
Northern Poland?
Hayling Island?
Plymouth?
Folkstone?

The article considers the "most disappointing", not the shittest.
Those "must sees" that are cliched, bigged-up, overcrowded and overpriced.

Went Ramsgate once and it was shut.

The Isle of Dogs would be a disappointing place to visit if you were a foreign tourist.

B_AND_T

MIA
Book Reviewer
bovvy said:
I noticed this thread earlier and feel I must respond. I apologise for being such a pedant, but it does annoy me that people don't properly read the artcles that are posted.

Shittest?
Portsmouth?
Milton Keynes?
Northern Poland?
Hayling Island?
Plymouth?
Folkstone?

Mrs Pedant, I will down to thee.

They forgot Portsmouth! I found it disappointing that it was still in existence.

Mr_Deputy said:
dissapointment could be due to things like queues
I know you can queue for The Louvre for something like 14 months just to get in...or 2 hours anyway.
or travel in from the countryside to get there, only to discover it is not actually open on a tuesday.

who knew.

bovvy said:

Shittest?
Portsmouth?
Milton Keynes?
Northern Poland?
Hayling Island?
Plymouth?
Folkstone?

you're absolutely right. you're a pedant.

glad it annoyed you! :D

Ex_ex said:
The Isle of Dogs would be a disappointing place to visit if you were a foreign tourist.
I live there, though I 'walt' and tell the burds that I'm in Canary Wharf :D

Mind you in the Summer there's loads of foreign tourist buses which park along by Island Gardens to use the underpass route to Cutty Sark / Geenwich.