Shitsta, I mean, Vista, simply won't start!

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Rod924, May 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

Not that sure if connected, but since installing software for Windows phone, my laptop seems to have gained new parameters in shitness! I hate "Zune" with a passion. The phone is totally Windows controlled, which no doubt Herrn Gates likes.

But, now, other than safe mode, I can't use my laptop. Any ideas what the to is up with the bloody heap of shoite???
  2. Vista mate... you were doomed from the start.
  3. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

Thanks for that :)
  4. msr

msr LE

Try uninstalling the software and see if that cures it.

5. A Mac is the way forward. sorry but agree with the above. Vista is the devils sperm.
  6. Or go to system restore - you'll see a calendar of which highlights the date the pc has backed itself up - choose the most recent date prior to you ******* about with it and it should go back to the original settings..
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Only if your a complete mong with computers, and the even more restricted O/S by Mr Jobbs.
  8. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

Ok, I have just tried to use the 'find and fix' from the ore start up (using f8 at start up). Came up with 'unplug external device, mobile/ipod, words to that effect'. Nothing is connected at all, but the stubborn git gives up and won't continue its search. Hence me thinking it may be caused by the phone.

Now, I would take a hammer to the thing, but too much grumble to lose.

9. msr

msr LE

Get a back up!
  10. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

you can run a restore from the f8 safe mode or from a windows disk, take the offending software off or disable any startup using the msconfig window.

I'd stick a pirate copy of windows 7 with dazloader and settle for that.
  11. Of course. The only solution is to spunk money up the wall on some overpriced "lifestyle" tat. It seems so obvious now...
  12. Total biffage here, but if you plug something else into the usb port might it 'forget' that the mobile/ipod was there, just to clear it??
  13. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I think this problem has already got his back up! :)
  14. The F8 detection is not particularly useful for this. Safe mode is working because it limits what runs.
    The issue will be either the software installed, or the drivers for the phone.
    Start up in safemode, then either uninstall the software or roll back to before you installed the phone in system restore.

If you are not getting anywhere then you can do a factory reset to get back to the beginning - instructions should be available on the manufacturers website or in thr paper work that can with the laptop - however this means you need to backup all of your files and later reinstall everything that has been on the laptop since you bought it.
  15. Feel bad for you mate.

If it's Vista you've got you may as well just take a hammer to the computer and enjoy the fun.