ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

Featured Ships & SF Helos to be scrapped in new defence cuts

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jim30, Sep 7, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

Not disagreeing with you but, like frigates, MRA4 was a case of 'This is the number you can have.', not 'How many do you really need?'.

2. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Fixed that for you.

It is a sad day but the writing had been on the wall for a long time. The simple issue is that no version of Lynx really provided what the user wanted. They want a little bird which was never going to happen (despite offers to eat tables ...... ) for either financial reasons or having a chain of command willing to sign up to the risk of operating in the way that the US does.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. Well the ones I know are not, (Drinkers Yes) But they have some very diverse skill sets, that make them very usfull to have in the tool box.

• Like Like x 1
  4. This simply can not be done with the current propose configuration of 3 Div, otherwise known as the only Div. There are only two MBT/Warrior equipped Armd Bdes which would deploy with one of the two Strike Brigades. Lord knows what the other Strike Brigade is for in this scenario, but it would probably become BCRs in short order in a full scale war, the Yeomanry has a Regiment dedicated to supplying crew BCRs to the two MBT Regiments if there are vehicles for them to man. Once 3 Div is spent, that is pretty much our contribution over perhaps as in a short a time as one day in a major engagement.

1 Div could cobble together a Brigade for follow on low intensity ops, but would need time to equip and train.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. @jim30 Eh? But...but.... but... this is Arrse.
    <scratches noggin, shakes noggin, mutters that that's the whole flipping point, scandal won't create itself now will it?>

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. I can't but feel it'd be far easier all round if 22 SAS just re-org'd into JSOC and be done with it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Best we get it sorted out then... The other Strike Bde is meant to form the nucleus of whatever formation follows on, which will probably be 1 Div.

You and I both know that 'it simply can't be done' is the answer that No.10 downwards does not want to hear...

• Like Like x 2
  8. What's in a name?

9. Admin is for hats.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Do you have a reference for the role of the 'other' Strike Bde? Surely it should be in 1 Div?

11. Not one that I wish to refer to on here...

12. What you are saying would hardly be a State secret.