Ships & SF Helos to be scrapped in new defence cuts

Latest from todays times (behind paywall) is 2 MCMV to go several years earlier than planned, entire Lynx SF force to go, exercises in Kenya and Canada to be reduced and other cuts likely. This is probably just the beginning...

I thought that the Lynx AH9 fleet was due to go fairly soon anyway? The biggest hit for the Army is the reduction of OTXs...
Planned for 2019 iirc. So maybe a year early.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I thought that the Lynx AH9 fleet was due to go fairly soon anyway? The biggest hit for the Army is the reduction of OTXs...
That is going to help recruitment! :rolleyes:

Another erosion of capability without a longer term solution being in place!

I'm not sure what the loss of the Lynx will do to the JSFAW element, certainly it had unique capabilities that aren't there in another rotary platform; armament wise I can see the closer integration of AH64 assets, but the cost will be greater (not that this seems to feature in some decisions - losing a 50p a day option to be replaced by a £10 a week option, coz after all if you're paying per day it has to be more expensive right!).

Don't fret, the Queen's enemies will be seen off with a combination of RSM of the Army challenge coins, women in the Infantry and party wafers.

More cuts! Well of course, we must include the military in the austerity measures eh!

It's a bit worrisome and I haven't tried to verify the figures below but I've just read a post on Facebook that claims out of an Army of 80,000, we have around 40,000 infantry. I expect that includes the bootnecks etc? I'm not sure if the infantry component is right but the post went on to say that if the Russians mobilised their reserves, they could have a million strong army in a month.

Does this mean we had better start to learn Russian or Chinese even?

While our equipment is probably better than what the Russians or the Chinese for that matter have, Quality does only go so far. Quantity has a definite advantage when the figures pass a certain level and it seems to me that we are way back behind those who may be our adversaries when you examine the numbers!

More cuts! Well of course, we must include the military in the austerity measures eh!

It's a bit worrisome and I haven't tried to verify the figures below but I've just read a post on Facebook that claims out of an Army of 80,000, we have around 40,000 infantry. I expect that includes the bootnecks etc? I'm not sure if the infantry component is right but the post went on to say that if the Russians mobilised their reserves, they could have a million strong army in a month.

Does this mean we had better start to learn Russian or Chinese even?

While our equipment is probably better than what the Russians or the Chinese for that matter have, Quality does only go so far. Quantity has a definite advantage when the figures pass a certain level and it seems to me that we are way back behind those who may be our adversaries when you examine the numbers!
Historically, we always had a smaller army than most. In wartime, we would use the Territorials to rapidly swell the numbers.

Oh, hang on...