Ship for sale. Restoration project or source of spare parts. Buyer collects.

Erm, Mr C-B, about those 305mm L50s...and 500 rounds to hold...just which range did you propose using them on, again ?

Nah take it down to London & use on certain politicians residences, just for fun obviously, I'm sure "Jezza" & Dianne would see the humour in it!

Live, I’m looking for real chutzpah in the FAC application.
Not seen anything above 14.5mm personally. I know one RFD who wanted a 105mm Abbott. He had it as a ‘run around’ with a deac. Even tried to get permission off the RA to do some live firing but it died off. Blank, I’ve seen everything up to and including 155mm, but I’m sure there are some 5.5” somewhere, let alone naval guns firing blanks. Obviously, the blanks being over 1” require FAC and ‘good reason’ is re-enactment.

That would be easy.

Size of proposed construction: 12"

I can't see many planning officers objecting to that. When they object, later, you can say

'Look, it's there in black and white - 12"
Thats true. Also if you have the turret at ground level then the Magazine and hoists are subterranean like those extensions celebrities are so fond off.

EDIT too may ands.

Last edited:
My older brother had an abbot, he used to charge £40 a pop for punters to drive it.
Unfortunately the breech had met mr gas axe. So we didn’t listen to the emperor.

Aren’t these wrecks the world’s main source of steel for delicate scientific instruments (as any steel smelted since 1945 is contaminated with radioactive material)?
There was a company planning to salvage the more accessible of the German U boats scuttled in Op Dead light at the end of WW2, for that reason, as they weren't war graves or anything like that.Was dropped because of concerns about the scuttling charges that were still aboard IIRC.

Obviously, the blanks being over 1” require FAC and ‘good reason’ is re-enactment.
Well, with the original post, a re-enactment of Jutland!

Aren’t these wrecks the world’s main source of steel for delicate scientific instruments (as any steel smelted since 1945 is contaminated with radioactive material)?
That's also the apparent reason behind the desicration of all the sunken Wargraves out in the Far East. Incidently the Dutch have lost two more grave sites just recently, two subs apparently.

That's also the apparent reason behind the desicration of all the sunken Wargraves out in the Far East. Incidently the Dutch have lost two more grave sites just recently, two subs apparently.
Was going to post same. Article in one of sundays a while ago, the theft of steel plate from naval war graves in the FE is very well organised & methodical. IIRC its estimated all will have disappeared in the next decade at the current rate

Was going to post same. Article in one of sundays a while ago, the theft of steel plate from naval war graves in the FE is very well organised & methodical. IIRC its estimated all will have disappeared in the next decade at the current rate
I was at a lecture recently on the wrecks of the Battles of the Java Sea and the Sunda Strait. Apparently HMS Exeter has all but disappeared and it's believed that HMAS Perth is disappearing rapidly while the only thing keeping the USS Houston protected is its location near a major port although some salvaging has taken place.

I was at a lecture recently on the wrecks of the Battles of the Java Sea and the Sunda Strait. Apparently HMS Exeter has all but disappeared and it's believed that HMAS Perth is disappearing rapidly while the only thing keeping the USS Houston protected is its location near a major port although some salvaging has taken place.
When you consider the size and strength of build of a Cruiser like the Exeter - even in damaged form - it's hard to believe it's been scrapped in situ, at depth. A sad reflection on human nature and the lure of £.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I bumped into the old MEO (Marine Engineering Officer) off one of my ships last year and we got chatting. He’s a 3 ringer (commander) now and boasted that he is in charge of the largest portfolio of ships in the entire Navy.

Turns out he’s the bloke in charge of all the wrecks.

Quite an interesting job actually. He has to make sure they’re environmentally sound, carry out condition monitoring, make sure they don’t move and pose a hazard to shipping etc.