Ship air/missile attacks in the Gulf - 1991

Yokel

LE

Assuming that the information in this video is correct, it does tell us some interesting details of an attempted Mirage F1/Exocet attack against coalition ships. It is unnecessary to point out that without the massive air effort and months of preparation, there would have been more anti ship attacks.

The missile attack attempted against the USS Missouri is well known, and so is the Sea Dart engagement by HMS Gloucester.

I was also vaguely aware of the USN CIWS virus chaff engagement.

Last edited:

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
The video of the Missouri engagement is rubbish: Missouri was westbound, and Gloucester was facing east (she was resetting within the cleared box) which was why the Seersucker was in Sea Dart's blind arcs. She turned to starboard to unmask Dart and protect Missouri, but the Seersucker missed north of the group (ironically, Gloucester chasing it around with her blind arcs) until, as it passed northwest, Gloucester overrode her H-Hold to get two Dart off at near-minimum range, both of them homing and hitting to destroy the threat.

Jarrett never detected the threat and her only contact was seeing it explode (which she at first assumed was Gloucester being hit and blowing up!)

Which of course did also involve the famous Ops Room audio recording, ending with...

+++++
Commanding Officer: Reacquire and re-engage. Stop the turn, officer of the watch, come hard left.
Officer Of the Watch: Port 35, coming hard left.
Missile Director: Any Doppler?... No Doppler aft, I say again. Track 7767 splashed with birds.
CO By whose birds?
MD: Ours, sir!
+++++

Yokel

LE
You might want to make a comment on YouTube then....

I thought that it described three incidents - the attempted Mirage/Exocet attack, the Seersucker attack, and Jarrett's Phalanx engaging the chaff bloom from Missouri. The attempted Falklands/tanker war style Exocet attack is not well known. The likes of Saddam Hussein tend to have real anti ship capabilities.

Yokel

LE
I have changed the thread title to include this video of Saddam's Navy getting taken out by RN Lynx (with Sea Skua). RAF Jaguar, RCAF CF-18 Hornets, and USN A-6E Intruders. I had heard aboard the Lynx that came under SAM threat, but had not heard about the incident when a USN F-14 Tomcat briefly locked them up.