Shinsplits and stress-fractures Tips/Adice

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by jaysonbourne, Apr 22, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is anyone suffering from shinsplits or stress fracture?
  2. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Not since 1991.

Have you considered asking a doctor?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Yes obviously i have. Y?
  4. Brotherton Lad

Good. Do what the doctor says.

Or, jump out of a first floor window on to some concrete. If your leg snaps, it's serious shin splints. If it doesn't, you've just got the niggly version.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Come on mate be seriously. R u that bored with life. If your not a recruit or soldier go away . Only serious posts on here.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Guys how long does a fracture take to heal? Approx?

7. Where is it ?
  8. Being a cock is still being a cock even if you put a semi decent answer on there. Keep on baiting and its the ban stick.
  9. You need to rest, take anti inflammatory's. Are you an over pronator? Is it the anterior tibial muscle or more on the posterior? If its the anterior it could be weak calf muscles leading to the anterior inflammation and the dreaded 'drop foot/slapping of feet'. You need to see a Sports Physio to determine why you are suffering. Increasing your mileage dramatically will give you inflammation, the rule of thumb generally is 10% increase a week. Go to a sports physio. Also be wary of 'compartment syndrome' talk, shin splints is rarely this and surgical procedure for this is routinely unnecessary and does not resolve the issue. A sports Physio may also recommend sport orthotics to correct any foot strike issues along with muscle strengthening exercises, good luck.
  10. Thank u excellent advice. At the moment im just waiting for a x-ray so but guessing could be a tibia stress-fractured in interior. The thing is i felt the pain 6months ago but the pain was low so i never fought nothing of it. Now the pain has increased highly and it's effecting my runs. I had my adsc date booked but had to put everything on hold now because of pain. The cause is i think when i upped my mileage to quickly 6month's ago an also worn out running shoes. Well pissed off seriously. Im hoping 3months will be enough recovery time!
  11. On my leg shin bone, the bottom bit above anckle. :mad:
  12. Brotherton Lad

I'm being entirely serious and it's the only relevant advice you'll get. Everything else will pander to your wishful thinking or not.

By the way, I was an Army level and occasional Combined Service marathon runner with a pretty senior position in an Army Training Regiment (the one below CO), if that floats your boat. So I do know what gets you failed and sent home.

Listen to the doctor.

PS. I am not your mate.
    • Like Like x 5
  13. Ok sir. Just please think before you write weird stuff like (jumping out window). Things in life is not always a joke!
  14. Jason, please stop reinforcing the soldier's adage that all civilians need neck shot.