Shinsplints is it all just an excuse for jacking?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by EAGLE1, Jan 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is Shinsplints just a made up term used by people who just can't stay the course.
    we all get some pain or another when setting off on long runs.

Yet I have always been told that 'shinsplints' is just a made up term-used as another excuse to get on the lorry.

what next 'help I have some blisters on mi feet'.
    Come on seriously we all feel a bit of pain now and then.
    So is 'shinsplints' a condition so serious that you have to jack the battle march and get on the truck. Or is it an old excuse to have a rest.

Any PTI's out there please respond.
  2. not a PTI but someone who had them - bloody painful they are too! They do clear up after complete rest for a month or so. Mine never came back but I was lucky that my problem was met with a sympathetic ear and a quick diagnosis.
  3. Lucky you! I didn't have such luck and my DS had the same attitude as eagle. I now have chronic shin splints which is super fun I tell thee. I do concur that they are bloody painful.
  4. A UFO AND someone who has had them. If you have got them you know about it. You can "soldier" through them though this has long term implications but the only real solution is to rest and then rehab, with lower impact training for a starter. Usually affects people with more organic weight than their bone structure can cope with. Part of rehab should be weight reduction.
  5. A good friend got them while at Santhurst and in those days they trained through them and took lots of brufen. They now affect her chronically, but far from giving up just modifies the training regime when they get bad. Not remotely overweight either. Having said that, she still trained with an arm in a sling and the beginnings of pneumonia, so it takes a lot to slow her down, but even she says they're horrifically painful.
  6. Yep, can be pretty serious if left untreated and training continued by all accounts. My mates now an ex-Royal Marine because of 'em. Tried getting up early and stretching before everybody else to reduce the pain and then went out running with everyone else. He got a pretty serious stress fracture, presumably ontop of the many micro fractures he gained before that, whilst running over brecon and that was it. He still has pain if he runs any kind of distance now and that was four years ago. So based on his experience I'd be inclined to take 'em seriously, better to rest up early than cripple yourself permenantly further down the line.
  7. To answer the question, no.
    There certainly is such a thing as shinsplints which is very nasty and should not be trained through.

It's a bit like whiplash though. Anyone with the real thing deserves your sympathy but it's such a convenient condition and so hard to prove or disprove that it invariably picks up a bad reputation by association with those who abuse it.

If you're a PTI, it's simple. If someone complains of shinsplints then tell them to stop. If you order someone who's complained of an injury to carry on, you're putting yourself in a very dangerous position.
  8. I had them in training... some eight years later, post Army career and my shins are still painful to touch. Due to being over weight? No, as I weighed about 12 stone when I joined the Army, and at 6 ft 2" I was a skinny runt. I also did kickboxing for a year before I joined, so I doubt it was a result of poor conditioning.

What was the point of this post, Eagle1, are you researching material for a new "book" - Defence in Body: the Survival Guide for British Army PTI's.

Anyway Eagle1, I think it's about time for your afternoon nap
  9. The medical term for shin splints is "medial tibial stress syndrome" and it's caused by the failure of the attachment site on your tibia to correctly adapt to changes in the stress it's put under.

Your bone is constantly changing to adapt to whatever you're doing, which involves some bone being destroyed and new bone laid down in line with the direction of the new stress. Unfortunately, if you're constantly exercising the new stuff can't form properly and if you continue training it starts pulling the muscle away, ending up with really bad chronic problems.

So the condition really does exist, but there aren't any clinical signs that a doc could see (even on x-ray until it's really bad). The only real treatment is to rest until the problem has gone away then SLOWLY start training again.

I got them a couple of years ago and they recurred constantly - until I found that the cause was simply not warming up enough (and sometimes running with too much weight). I try and do at least 5 mins really gentle walking/jogging before any training now. Stretching beforehand made it worse for me by the way.
  10. Sometimes gets severe pain in shins when tabbing goes away when I stop .
    Very annoying .Might mean I may be prone to shin splints . :D
  11. Most definetely an excuse to jack it in.

I'm not in the army yet, but when I first started training I was overweight by 3 stone, never ran far in my life, and generally was in a poor physical condition. 3 months later, I could barely walk due to the pain in my shins. It was very very painful.

You could feel little bunches of muscle and swelling all along the inner lower 2/3rds of my shin.

Then I got wise to it, and did my research. Stretches, exercise, weight loss, orthotics and now it doesn't bother me:)
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Mine were diagnosed after 2 years and passing COP selection as Anterior Compartment sindrome. I left within a year of treatment starting, partially successful and only when I try to walk at 140 a minute do I get the old tightness coming back. regular walks without kit and in good supporting footwear helps. I since suffered from something unpronounceable which left me with ruined feet, unable to walk. Cortisone jabs in each sole helped. I'll remember how to spell it later, quite common for my age apparently.
    This was that painful shite in both my feet
  13. it would be helpful if you knew what we were talking about!

to jack - military term for taking the easy way out, by getting on the support vehicle part way through arduous exercise such as an 8 mile tab with bergens

14. I MUST remind all those foolish young Doctor types not to write 'shin splints' in patients notes in future...

... as Eagle1 says its psychosematic.

15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Nothing psychosematic about running along through the pain barrier to see one foot turn inwards at about 45 degrees and stay there till about 2 hours after the run. I was stupid as I wanted to pass selection for COP and not let the lads down. I paid for it in the end.