Shin Splints

Slippers948

Swinger
Yes I know there are plenty of threads on the old ARRSE about shin splints, however I cannot seem to find one about suffering from shin splints at Sandhurst. I'm currently on track for Sandhurst in Sept, with my main board quickly approaching. One thing I'm sh**ing it about is getting shin splints at Sandhurst and being singled out as a weak candidate. I am a competitive cyclist, and my PB for the 1.5 mile is 9:35. It's nothing to do with my fitness in my opinion, it's to do with resilience in my shins as cycling is non-impact. I am prone to shin splints and have been trying to build my resilience. Just wondering what it was like to suffer with them at RMAS and were there many there that did suffer?

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
Yes I know there are plenty of threads on the old ARRSE about shin splints, however I cannot seem to find one about suffering from shin splints at Sandhurst. I'm currently on track for Sandhurst in Sept, with my main board quickly approaching. One thing I'm sh**ing it about is getting shin splints at Sandhurst and being singled out as a weak candidate. I am a competitive cyclist, and my PB for the 1.5 mile is 9:35. It's nothing to do with my fitness in my opinion, it's to do with resilience in my shins as cycling is non-impact. I am prone to shin splints and have been trying to build my resilience. Just wondering what it was like to suffer with them at RMAS and were there many there that did suffer?
Just because you think you are about to be something different, it will not stop you posting here.

All medical chat and queries 2016/2017.

Switchback

War Hero
Shin splints is an injury. Painful shins is to be expected when starting to tab. Learn to distinguish between the two!

Prevention is better than a cure! Run on a proper build up programme don't just go out and smash the miles in on tarmac. Find a beginners leg strength build up programme which will help, learn how to stretch properly, learn how to use a foam roller and use that.

It's down to you, if you know you have a weakness work on it.

Slippers948

Swinger
Not entirely sure what you are saying, but I am assuming you are trying to be helpful of sorts. I'm more after people's experiences than a medical cure, I've got a physio for that. @The_Snail

Slippers948

Swinger
Thanks for the tips, I'm more after people's experiences of suffering at RMAS though and what support (maybe a stupid question) was received, were they set back by the injury etc? @Switchback

Switchback

War Hero
Thanks for the tips, I'm more after people's experiences of suffering at RMAS though and what support (maybe a stupid question) was received, were they set back by the injury etc? @Switchback
I suffered at sandhurst until my platoon commander shared some tips about how to deal with dodgy shins, so I learned the hard way. Do that lot and hopefully you won't have to worry.

You do not want to get injured at Sandhurst, you want to get through in a oner and commission with the people you start with!

Don't go in with the attitude "when I get injured how will I be supported".

Get there with the knowledge you have done everything you can to prep yourself to avoid injury.

I was informed that Shin splints were weakness leaving the body and to embrace them.

Seriously, I would get some shin pain. Remedied it by shortening my step slightly.

The_Duke

LE
MOD comment:

Reasonable question on a recruiting board. Any more "comedians" who wish to post will get points as usual.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I'm aware of a current case of shin splints at RMAS. Having arrived in Aug, the shin splints started a few months later. The OCdt was transferred to Lucknow Pl and continued easier training (on the physical side) to allow them to mend and to return on a later intake.

This has not been successful and the OCdt is going home with an invitation to return in a year.

Now, this is an individual case but it is the sort of thing which can happen. I was an Army marathon runner half a life-time ago and got shin splints one year. I lost the rest of that year's training since these things can take a very long time to mend and don't like being put under stress too early..

Edited to add photo of another option:

Blog

Last edited:
Would weight training assist - not body building but light medium weight - That and hiking increase bone density whilst lower impact than running.

Its how ive got back to running ( okay back to coughing puking staggering and crawling but I'm working up to a run). following another injury - also kept me off the bike and Snowboard.
I ask because I know nothing about shin splints

Slippers948

Swinger
Thanks for the response, I'm currently trying to build the resilience by slowly upping my speed/mileage and mixing it in with swimming and my usual cycling. Ive got time on my side at the moment as well, but it will always be at the back of my mind though. Fingers crossed they don't return. It's good to hear I'm not the only one prone the blasted things.

Thanks for the response, I'm currently trying to build the resilience by slowly upping my speed/mileage and mixing it in with swimming and my usual cycling. Ive got time on my side at the moment as well, but it will always be at the back of my mind though. Fingers crossed they don't return. It's good to hear I'm not the only one prone the blasted things.
You got them with regular running/no weight? I would agree with lindemyer - running with light/medium weight. Swimming and cycling are low/no impact and not much benefit at this point in your regime.

My bud was Q muscles at Lichfield...You know how to get better at running? Run more and run different.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer

I only pop into the Academy occasionally and for social reasons, but have a chat while I'm there. I'd expect there to be several other cases of shin splints; there's certainly always a number of people on crutches about the place. The point is that the physical side is graduated training, but the medical and physio support is first class, as you would expect. It's one of the better places in the country to get injured in that regard.

There's an ethical and leadership side to that support, of course, and also a financial one. The Army has already spent a small fortune on you on the day you arrive (I used to know the figure two decades ago and it will have only increased) so it's in everyone's interests to get OCdts back into training.

Latest Threads