Shin Splints

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by duggan123, Jul 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone knows how to get rid of shin splints?
  2. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Stop running for 3 months but even then you can't be sure they won't just come back - I had them back in the day too - running with boots was the problem - mine just went away after 6 months of pain.
  3. like schaden says just stop running. even if you do cycling/cross training/swimming you should be fine as long as its non impact
  4. if i stop running for 3 months how am i suppose to get my run time down?
  5. If you don't stop running the pain will get worse and worse to the point where it hurts even to walk. Get yourself assessed by a private physio, the NHS won't be any help. If you happen to be in the Bristol area I know a very good one. But you must stop running for now.
  6. look at it this way you'll have it down to zero.

there's nothing you can do other than stop running for a while, and if you go back too soon they'll come back. keep doing cardio just not impact then you wont drop any fitness when you get back pounding the pavement. also when you do get back avoid running with weight for a good while.
  7. there are literally HUNDREDS of posts on here about shin splints and how to help them. Many sufferers have sworn by going to a good running shoe shop who can analyse your running gait and advise you on trainers that correct any discrepancies.
  8. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

You thought they were joking when they said "no pain, no gain?"

I just took a anti inflammatory - diclofenac and carried on but it can mean you end up in plaster if you're unlucky.
  9. you do look like a twat when you're limping on both legs though :)
  10. I only ever got them during a CFT, and in one leg. Could be down to putting too much weight on one side, and having the wrong footwear. Also try using your hips a bit more to move you forward.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.