ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

Shin Splints

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Phishcake, Jan 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Right, so I've been training hard for selection, I've been running 3 times a week for pretty good distances, but then I started getting these pains in my lower legs. I have a gym session on my timetable at college, and when they started hurting this time I told my teacher about them. She said it's probably Shin Splints.

I've heard about Shin Splints, and that it can cause problems.

Be straight with me please, can I still join the Army? Will I make it through Phase 1? Any relevant info will be really helpful.

2. I had them when I used to play American Football, just rest up and they'll go away. If you try and train through it they'll get worse.

I was 18 when I had them, and my coach told me to rest (luckily only had 1 more game before the end of the season) and sure enough they went away. Took a few weeks though. I go to the gym and run all the time now and I haven't had a problem with my shins since. I think your running style can cause them, especially if you don't absorb some of the shock in your knees.

Unless your Phase 1 is tomorrow, I think you'll be fine!

3. Stop double posting! Use read the medical and fitness stickies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.