Shin Splints

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Phishcake, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right, so I've been training hard for selection, I've been running 3 times a week for pretty good distances, but then I started getting these pains in my lower legs. I have a gym session on my timetable at college, and when they started hurting this time I told my teacher about them. She said it's probably Shin Splints.

I've heard about Shin Splints, and that it can cause problems.

Be straight with me please, can I still join the Army? Will I make it through Phase 1? Any relevant info will be really helpful.
  2. I had them when I used to play American Football, just rest up and they'll go away. If you try and train through it they'll get worse.

I was 18 when I had them, and my coach told me to rest (luckily only had 1 more game before the end of the season) and sure enough they went away. Took a few weeks though. I go to the gym and run all the time now and I haven't had a problem with my shins since. I think your running style can cause them, especially if you don't absorb some of the shock in your knees.

Unless your Phase 1 is tomorrow, I think you'll be fine!
  3. Stop double posting! Use read the medical and fitness stickies.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.