Shin Splints

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by hansie350, May 6, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. What exactly are shin splints 8O and how do I know if I have got them. I have been doing a lot of running getting ready for my basics and have got a bit of pain in the front of my shins but not unbearable. This pain turned up after two weeks of running and two days of running inclines. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. The term shin splints is an informal name for the injury, it has got a proper techinical term depending on where the pain is.

    I suggest you search "Shin Splints" on something like google as there is a wealth of information on how it is caused and how to identify it.

    The best way to get rid of them its plenty of rest and placing ice on the affected area 2-3 times a day for about 15 mins.

    I have been doing cycling while i have been resting as i have got shin splints in my right leg. You could also try swimming.

    When you get back to running, try to avoid running on tarmac or concrete all of the time - try grass and other surfaces.

    I hope this provides some help!
  3. Shin splints are caused when you wear boots too tight around the ankle which both cuts off the blood supply to the ankle and as it rubs - and the knot grips your lower shin - it tears the muscles away from their attachments to the shin bone... Causing agony and a long recovery period. :)
  4. Shin splints are the name given to bilateral stress fractures and are caused by repeated runs on tarmac or concrete and the only way for them to heal is to rest and ask your GP to prescribe you diclofenac or like Pebble Monkey advised try swimming as this is not load bearing exercise hope this information is of help to you :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
  5. Shin splints are the name given to bilateral stress fractures and are caused by repeated runs on tarmac or concrete and long tabs and the only way for them to heal is to rest and ask your GP to prescribe you diclofenac or like Pebble Monkey advised try swimming as this is not load bearing exercise hope this information is of help to you :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
  6. Oh by the way if you have basic coming up chances are the PTI's will spot your injury on your first beasting. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
  7. I'm with cruncher.

    Shin splints are (in my experience) caused by impact shock generally casued by running in crap trainers on hard surfaces. (trainers last circa 1,000 miles / one year if you have exceeded either it's time to replace them they suffer impact compaction and stop absorbing the impact)

    If you can't stoip running get into some proper running shoes that fit properly. Go and see a Dr about how bad they are and how to fix them.
  8. There's three types of shin splints. They are also a progressive list ie. don't treat the first type and you'll get the second, don't treat the second type and you'll get the third, don't stop when you've got the third and you'll not be able to run for months.

    The first (and least serious) is where the muscle is pulling away from the bone in your shin. This is best treated by the aforementioned ice and rest - may take up to a month to heal though.

    The second type is where the muscle literally starts to come off the bone - this is not a good thing so if you've got these then go and see your doctor while you can still bloody walk!

    The third type are by far the most serious. These refer to the bone quite literally splintering due to lack of support from a damaged muscle. This is very bad. A visit to the doctor is essential.

    Shin splints tend to occur when there's a sudden ramp up in your training. Remember in future that while your lungs can almost certainly take a bit of punishment, your leg muscles and bone almost certainly cannot.

    A decent PTI should be able to suggest some remedial exerscise to keep the strength in your muscles while you're out of it and help you reover more quickly.

    They can be prevented by sensibly ramping up your training program rather than increasing it by silly amounts at the start just because your lungs can keep up.

    Good footwear also helps. Buy decent insoles/boots and a bloody good pair of trainers in the £50-60 range (get something by New Balance or Asics and the like, not the most expensive Nike you can find and buy them from a proper running shop where they should be able to assess your running style and strike pattern for pronation and other patterns which will affect how your feet (and therefore legs) react to hitting the ground).

    Also try to run off the bloody roads!
  9. All very good advice thanks. I dont think that it is too serious cos it has been 3 days since i last ran and they are feeling much better. It probably helps that my girl is a massage therapist.
  10. ^^ That's pretty handy! I suggest that if it took you 3 days to get better - I'd wait at least another week before you even think about doing exercise on your legs... Maybe a brisk walk perhaps? Until you feel 100%.

    It's all too easy to wait until you feel better then go out to "make up for lost time" and re-injure yourself.
  11. You're getting good info here, these guys are either well trained, or have been sick so many times they are trainee RIs. Avoid impact training - running. Try cycling, the eliptical runner, rowing and muscular endurance training. Swimming is good, but if your technique is pants, you'll just end up thrashing yourself. Make sure your trainers are in good order - they may just be past it. When your body aches, it's telling you something.
    Is your leg tender to the touch? If so, you may want to see a doc. When you go back to running, run on grass - it will give you more cushioning.
    Best of luck.
  12. One word: Sorbothane.

    Ok, some other words: Get some sorbothane insoles and put them in ALL your boots, trainers etc. It's like a miracle in your legs.

    Don't believe me? Just put one insole in, see which leg hurts most after a 6 mile run :wink:
  13. Or better yet, got to the med centre to get your Sorbothanes for free and save yourself the £20.
    Note: presupposes that your MO isn't a wnak...

    If you're still having problems/discomfort in boots then I'd thoroughly recommend getting better insoles - Superfeet and Conformable are the best on the planet and, even though they're £40, they're a bargain if you need them. If you're doing a lot of tabbing or just a lot of intensive boot-wearing stuff then your feet will thank you over and over again.

    Of course better boots (of the Lowa variety if you're anything like me) will help.

    If you're still having problems I'd recommend that you go and see a doctor to see about it and discuss all that could be causing you problems. I knew a bloke who for years soldiered on despite having one leg that was a good few centimetres shorter than the other! He went to a Podiatrist, a foot witch doctor sent by god to help soldiers, and she sorted him out with an insole moulded to his feet to rectify the height problem.

    Consider everything and you'll sort yourself out.
  14. Yeah dont do anything with them, im struggling at the moment with mine. Ive had them for about 3 months now...Im too impatient. However ive decided im not going to do any running for 6 weeks minimum now. grrrr.
  15. Whenever my legs feel fine ie. not sensitive to touch or when walking, If i jog even about 200 yards then my legs feel fine during the run but after about 12 hours they seem to ache. Usually when I go to bed and try to sleep. then in the morning they are fine again until i jog. Walking does not seem to hurt them though. Maybe a lay off for a few weeks would be good but i need to get fit for my entry fitness test and i have no access to a pool or gym. Would roller blading or a step machine help?