shin splints?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by bmal, Jun 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm looking for some advice please; twice now i have injured both legs whilst out road running, very sharp pains in my shins, but not whilst i'm running, only afterwards when i stand up/sit down etc. usually i rest for a few days then it goes away for another month or so. any advice on stretches or adjusting running style etc would be great. the last thing i want to do is get it on my medical records and get swiftly f*cked off when i start training in catterick later this year.

thanks in advance
  2. Get some serious stretching involved, before and after runs.

Don't go hardcore, get a structured routine, make sure the shoes are the correct ones, don't just leave it for a couple of days then hammer it again, rest for a week or 2 then slowly get into it.

I hammered myself, got injured in April and now I've just got back to normal.
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Shin Splints, not really a single such injury. It is a symptom for many different problems and you need to seek help as soon as possible!
  4. Had this many years ago on a course. It caused me to fail the course because I couldn't complete the final march, as has been said get help straight away, I have to have specially made insoles these days because I didn't get it treated properly when it happened.
  5. Sorbothane insoles worked for me.
  6. thanks for the advice, would this lead to an MD in basic training? i'm off to the docs ASAP, it's bloody sore!
  7. Not sure about MD but back partying would be a certainty, plus in severe cases it could lead to an operation to cut the muscle sheath.
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I do think that a lot of what happens next depends upon your attitude and how good your MO is.
  9. Shin splints is just a generic term for pain below the knee when running - the op to cut the muslce sheath is for compartment syndrome and is very rare.

First things first is get the right footwear. Proper running trainers (from a shop like run and become not JJB sports) that are right for your gait (have a gait analysis done in store). As mentioned shock absorbing insoles like sorbothanes are invaluable too.

The only way to heal medial stress syndrome (shin splints) is rest. Stick to low impact activities such as cycling and swimming to maintain fitness, but you need to rest or you will risk stress fracture.

There is shitloads of info about it on here so as suggested, use the search facility
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Trust me anterior compartment hurts and never really goes away, get it treated, do the physio and you will have a full career ahead of you!
  11. Ive heard that mate. I suffered from 'shin splints' and that was agony enough with all the phys I was doing, so I can only imagine.

I say again though, the first action is to stop running and rest the injury, then seek professional help. Keep running and you will make it much worse.
  12. i will be paying the physio next week, i don't want my career cut short! my asics have let me down, thanks for the help guys.
  13. Tell me about it! Boot runs every monday morning for 2 months didn't help either!! Sorbothanes helped me out no end and ice packs on shins/calf area after work.
  14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I still suffer from it although when I was playing Rugby at my old Army weight I didnt suffer from them. When I was heavier I suffered a bit but cycling helped with the weight and fizz. Now I have had to give that up and they are back when I walk really fast. I will lose that weight but not through fizz, I will have to change my lifestyle, after the GBBF though!
  15. Mate I was diagnosed with shin splints years ago and MD'd from the regs.

Years on, missing the Army and wanting to join the TA I started training and had the same pain in my legs. I went to see a Podiatrist and he diagnosed it was simply the way my feet were hitting the floor not shin splints.

He designed and made some insoles which redressed the balance, happy days running no longer a problem, selection passed and i'm on my way.

Why I tell you this:

A) no one can diagnose you through this site.
    B) You could do more damage by listening to medical Walter Mittys
    C) You could save a lot of money in the long run by going to a qualified person, instead of buying expensive off the shelf insoles and trainers which do nothing to help.
    D) Cause if I had seeked a second opinion my reg career would not have been cut short, and I wanna rant ha ha ha!!!!