Shin splints

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Arfur, Mar 4, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm plagued by them. Any advice other than gritting my teeth and stocking up on ibuprofen? Have been trying ankle-ligament-strengthening exercises without much luck.

2. I think streching out and strengthening the calfs is supposed to help

3. Get it sorted, see a physio - shin splints turn into stress microfractures of the shin very easily unless you rest up properly. I went through a year of just shutting up and putting up during my GYC because I didn't want to look a poof in front of my Tp, and very nearly paid the price of permanent injury; gritting your teeth and necking the 'infantryman's' friend in the form of Brufen belongs to the army of the 80s.

Can only suggest you cross train, try running on tracks, grass etc. Strengthening exercises WILL work, you just need to be mega persistent.

4. Sorbothane insoles might help, they will certainly minimise any further incidence.

5. Used to get them about fifteen years ago. Haven't got them since I cut down the running in boots and did some cycling and swimming plus stretching and strengthening exercises on making the foot move upwards.

As has been said, go and see a sports physio. You may not be bothered how your body feels in twenty years time now. Believe me, when you get there, you will!

6. Was told once that you can't actually get shin splints as such after you turn 25, you get what feels like shin splints but isn't really them. Advice I was goven was keep running, and it worked 8O

7. Ive had shin splints a few years ago and i wouldnt wish them on my worst enemy!

As mentioned previously, necking brufen and getting on with it will only lead to a permanent injury. The only way for the shin splints to go is to rest the lower legs and avoid impact fitness as much as possible.

When you do fiz, go for a swim instead of a run or go on the bikes, cross trainers or rowing machines. Avoid impact sport as much as you can because this is what inflames the muscle around the shin causing the pain. Wear sorbathanes in all of your footwear, they really do work. After you do fiz, ice down your shins as this will help to reduce the inflamation of the muscles. Also get to a decent physio to get the problem sorted. You might have to pay for this but the money is worth it for the treatment you get. Different treatments work for different people, you need to discuss this with the physio to get the best results. I tried a few that did nothing for me but after some acupuncture in the shins my rate of recovery improved dramaticaly.

Good luck and remember no running in boots!

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Feck that was me 1986, first time it hit during a cft I flopped and was rewarded by a medical and extra pt . Cheers MO never had the pain before so you punish me! Cheers twat! I got over it with good exercise in COP selection and trg. trouble was during NIPG it came back at the 3 mile point hurt for 2 more miles then I could feel nowt but my right foot pointed almost 90 degrees left. I saw sense and a decent medic thanks PWO! Stayed with me till I got too fat to run he he!
    At one point MPH wanted to operate but I took the physio option and spoke to a good ssgt aptc + charlie Rignall who worked out a good excercie routine that kept me on ops but in trainers (bloody expensive in beer tokens) for bfts etc. a year or two out and I was light and fit enough that it wasnt a problem, it may be related to body weight muscle mas as I was a meathead then even the wife says so and she preferred me then. Damn girl there is so much more of me to love now!

9. Totally agree with the previous posters you must go and get proper help right away. They will turn into microtears off the tibia and you will end up with stress fractures if you just push on. Cushioning innersoles with an instep gel pad will help decrease the eversion of your feet. You also need to strengthen the dorsi flexors (tib anterior predominantly) to compensate for the natural tendency to have stronger plantar flexors (soleus and gastroc). Stretching after exercise is crucial as is strengthening the tib anterior. Dorsiflexion (bringing the toe back towards you) as a static stretch and isometric contraction exercise will help. I used to suffer shin splints badly (on verge of having op to correct damage) till I saw a good physio who advised me re that simple exercise programme. Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation will also assist when you can get time to do it.

Good luck.

10. You must go and see your Medical officer. They are the only ones that can refer you to physio and they will be able to prescribe you sorbothane insoles (saving you 15 quid). I got shin splints in Basic trianing and kept quiet about it until I got to my first unit. Here I started playing rugby again and they disappeared. I guess this is because I was running on grass and also doing my road running/gym PT. I would be careful about popping too much Brufen aswell. Any long term medications should be managed by a doctor. Non steriodal anti-inflamatories have a nasty habbit of buggering up the kidneys if abused.
    Get well soon.

11. Thanks to everyone, much appreciated!

12. Are you sure that you have shin splints, I was treated for them for about a year and an exchange physio from OZ said I had compartment syndrom in both shins. Got them pressure tested in Osnabruck and his diagnosis was confirmed. 2 ops later, 1 legs ok as they can't garantee that the op will cure the problem.

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Thats what Musgrave park said I haid anterior compartment syndrome. I thought it meant I had an empty back pack. Surgery was offered but I went the route of physio and lots of TLC from our local pti staff. pointless eventually as I left 2 years later and I wont even run for a bus now!

14. Greetings All,

I have just seen this post and as an Australian Physiotherapist and Sports Trainer would like to share the Australian solution to this problem.

"Quote from Mil Kit Review - my user ID"
    Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:31 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

G'day All,

This is fix for overpronation as used in AFL and various other sporting activities.

The equipment required is as follows: FIXOMULL 5 CM (OR EQUIVELENT)
    , sPORTS TAPE 38MM AND ALCOHOL WIPES/SWABS.

METHOD: (do this in pairs, taping each other)
    1 Establish the degree of pronation by grasping the front of the ankle and pushing the ankle until the arch reappears.
    2 Using a piece of Fixomull approx 10cm long , start at the midpoint of base of the foot , under tension, adhere the tape to the base of the foot and bring it round the inside of the heel until the piece is fully adhered.
    3 repeat this with a piece of sports tape.
    4 repeat step 3
    5 repeat step 3
    6 apply another piece of Fixomull to cover the tape job.

This should last for about 3-4 days and can be added to as required.

Should anyone need any more info , Please PM Me

15. Get to the Physio, get them sorted - I didn't, did a year of mind over body and was MD'd in 92 with a permanent injury. The Army wouldn't operate on me (chance of success is low!) but NHS would (!). In civvy st, down at Plymouth, a Naval surgeon chopped me back to health, although I have a permanent feeling of pins and needles down the insides of my shins. Re-enlisted 00, happy days. Lesson learnt. Too all those reading this - injury, get it seen too and sorted or risk your career... Rant over.