Shin splints while training

Hi, I’ve picked up shin splints, I’ve rested for 2 weeks but still feel pain in my shins, should I return to running on soft surface or carry on resting?

you have access to the internet

try this

Mrsheeny

War Hero
I had them years ago. Had physio, 3 x acupuncture, gait analysis, top of the range running trainers, insoles.

Did it fix em? Did it balls.

I still get them now but I know how to manage them. What I do is take shorter strides when running, not so much that I look like I'm holding a turtles head in mind, just shorter rather big long 6'4 strides.

Also, I stretch my calves really well before AND after running and ice my shins before and after and I'm fine. I can run 3 times a week doing this.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
If you've got pukka shin splints you're looking at several months, not weeks. Starting training too early will simply knock you back to the start. Just like snakes and ladders.

I lost half of 1991 to shin splints.

I ran thru shin splints to the point of a massive stress fracture, crutches for 12 weeks and nearly 6 months off running after that...

If you've got pukka shin splints you're looking at several months, not weeks. Starting training too early will simply knock you back to the start. Just like snakes and ladders.

I lost half of 1991 to shin splints.
Probably cheaper than the drug habit I lost most of 1997 to.

On a more serious note - I was getting niggle after niggle road running, even after making sure any increase in distance or intensity was painfully slow and gradual.

I gave up running on hard stuff and did two things. Only run trails now, and really upped my cadence.

No two strides are ever the same off-road, softer and you don't have to search for that efficiency of stride in the same way. I found it strengthened everything far better too. As a natural result, I also upped my cadence to take more steps but shorter - aids in balance and reduces the risk of having to pull yourself out of something as the next footfall comes quickly. I found I stopped plodding with heavy foot strikes on the heel and positively dance along by comparison now.

Rarely get a niggle now and the runs are far more enjoyable - frankly, the worse the weather and conditions, the more I enjoy it. Road running just bored the tits off me and I was always crook.

Last edited:

Chop

Clanker
i think cadence and less heel striking helped mine no end.
and stretch / roll the calves and shins.

Jonnynoname

Old-Salt
Have you tried taping? I worked in a gym where they did this a lot. Helped with elbow Problems too as one off the girls was an ex competition bodybuilder & swore by it for elbow pain. Find a good gym or private clinic who can do it properly.

Scorcher68

Old-Salt
You may have stress fractures as Alfred the Great alluded to .Worth getting them checked out if possible. I had terrible shin splints in my much younger fast bowler days which I got checked out but were negative .Nevertheless did not bowl for six weeks afterwards .

Probably cheaper than the drug habit I lost most of 1997 to.

On a more serious note - I was getting niggle after niggle road running, even after making sure any increase in distance or intensity was painfully slow and gradual.

I gave up running on hard stuff and did two things. Only run trails now, and really upped my cadence.

No two strides are ever the same off-road, softer and you don't have to search for that efficiency of stride in the same way. I found it strengthened everything far better too. As a natural result, I also upped my cadence to take more steps but shorter - aids in balance and reduces the risk of having to pull yourself out of something as the next footfall comes quickly. I found I stopped plodding with heavy foot strikes on the heel and positively dance along by comparison now.

Rarely get a niggle now and the runs are far more enjoyable - frankly, the worse the weather and conditions, the more I enjoy it. Road running just bored the tits off me and I was always crook.
Likewise, I can’t run more than a mile on a road - it just hurts too much...

Mrsheeny

War Hero
Have you tried taping? I worked in a gym where they did this a lot. Helped with elbow Problems too as one off the girls was an ex competition bodybuilder & swore by it for elbow pain. Find a good gym or private clinic who can do it properly.
Thats another thing I tried, KT tape but it did nothing other than rip a big strip of hairs off me legs.

A very good stretch for the front of the shin

Kneel on floor and try to sit on your heels
As you get more flexible start leaning back further
Hold for up to 30 seconds at a time.

Shin splints are rarer than they are diagnosed. Often pain on the outside of the shin is diagnosed as shin splints when it is actually just tight muscles. Rolling around on a foam roller/tennis ball/hockey ball can often work wonders at stretching out the muscle on the outside of the shins albeit initially painfully.

Shin splints are rarer than they are diagnosed. Often pain on the outside of the shin is diagnosed as shin splints when it is actually just tight muscles. Rolling around on a foam roller/tennis ball/hockey ball can often work wonders at stretching out the muscle on the outside of the shins albeit initially painfully.
I suffered with monster "shin splints" for years, and then I learned how to stretch my soleus. Didn't quite disappear overnight, but not far off.

Hi, I’ve picked up shin splints, I’ve rested for 2 weeks but still feel pain in my shins, should I return to running on soft surface or carry on resting?
A good loud shouting at by a Corporal can fix them.

I've seen it happen.

But seriously, more rest from running. To test, jump up and down on your tip toes. If it hurts, rest more. You've probably done too much training for your current body to handle. Maybe have a look at your running form when you're better too. And train within your capabilities. You've got to stress your body to improve, but rest must follow for the adaption to take place.

I'm back on Shaun T's Insanity workouts.

Kneel on floor and try to sit on your heels
Being half-Japanese I've sat this way for years. Not sure why? Maybe I just got used to it from visiting family there? In my home office my desk is pretty low and I can work and sit like that. I'm 50 and pretty inflexible in most other ways (putting my socks on is becoming a struggle).

Never had a problem with shin splints funnily enough.

RandyLahey

Swinger
Don’t stretch before you run, stretch after. Warm up before you run with high knees and maybe a mile jog. Make sure your shoe laces are really tight and try not to run two days in a row to start with.

Ibuprofen will definitely help as it reduces inflammation.

I only recently stopped getting shin splints but that’s because I had them for around a year but kept running anyway. My leg muscles were forced to get stronger and now they take the impact instead of my shin bones. My legs look monstrous in comparison to the rest of my very average body so that leads me to believe there is an element of running through the pain and sucking it up.

The information I’ve given you here should help really and eventually shin splints do go away but it takes a proactive approach like anything else you want to improve.

Latest Threads