Shin splints right before training.

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by United_As_One, Jul 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I go to ITC Catterick on the 21st of August. For about a week / 2 weeks now I have got shin splints in my left leg, I have been resting it since I was diagnosed by my GP. Put ice one it every day, taken anti inflammatory and still no luck and it is STILL THERE!

I don't want to miss out on training, what can / will happen if I tell them
    this ?

Anyone got good advice for me ?

thanks.

2. There are too many variables, how long have you been running, what distances have you covered with ease, are you wearing good quality running shoes, how much pain are you in?

If you are new to running, the stiffness in your calves and pain in the shins might just be new to you, it could be perfectly normal.

I doubt very much that your legs will fall off, but sufficient pain will stop you running any distance.

I can only prescribe MTFU tablets.

3. I had shin splints in one of my legs before i started basic and for the first two/ three weeks it was uncomfortable, but never got unbearable. I told my section commander, and he told me he gets it all the time and advised me to shutup winging and get through it. So I did, and after a few weeks I was fine.
    On the other hand, there was one lad who got shin splints about a month into basic, and his got worse and worse so he decided to report it, and he was taken out of our troop and placed into a rehab troop (sword company) for at least 4 weeks.
    So its up to you what you do, considering infantry training is longer you would probably be best telling your recruiter, and starting your training at a later date, when your injury has fully healed. I know thats the last thing you probably want to do, but there is a big possibility your injury will get worse ( i was lucky) and you will just spend months in a rehab troop, or even get medically discharged.

4. The last thing I want to do is wait for a later date just for this BUT it seems the sensible option even though I dont want to do it....I amm in 2 minds really crack on and risk it or be sensible and wait. I have from now until the 8th (my Oath day) to get back up to decent fitness with my running etc. So fingers crossed it will be fine soon !

5. 'Shin splints' is a nebulous term, covering a spectrum of injuries. GP s are rarely able to diagnose the problem correctly, for all manner of reasons. Google a podiatrist/chiropracter and make an appointment - it will cost you (maybe £50 or so) but it is money well spent for an accurate diagnosis.

If you over-pronate (i.e. foot rolls inwards when you run) you may actually have pulled the muscle on the inside of your shin away from the bone - this is one injury that causes 'shin splints'. If you carry on running, which I doubt you could anyway as the pain is intolerable, you will almost certainly end up with a stress fracture and 6 months' rest. A month of rest and impact-free exercise (swimming, cross-trainer) would quite possibly allow it to heal though.

6. I am not running at all at the moment, I ran for about 3 minutes on grass to see if it was still there and it was there a bit so I have stopped running completely now. I am going to start going swimming and using the bike and cross trainer as of Friday so it will hopefully keep the CV up...

7. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

If you can't take off 6-8 weeks without running or you can't carry on training through the pain you're fucked.

8. feck me.i had shin splints through training years ago.bit of brufen & a decent bit of man up sorted me.if you really want it you will get it.i suppose that todays youth are just not as physical as previous generations,not having a pop at individuals,just my opinion.

9. Advice ? Go and see a proper sports physiotherapist - he/she can diagnose whats causing it and how to treat it and you might just get it fixed i time for your 21st Aug date -

10. True but thee and me probably spent every minute of our spare time running about or on our bikes as kids - this generation spend it on PC's Playstations etc - no wonder their tendons are unstretched....

11. Chiropractor! (Be warned, they know how to inflict pain in both the body and the wallet!)

12. ******* shin splints?!

Bollocks, how old are you? Was your paper round up the Eiger in a pair of Siebe Gorman diving boots?

If your shins arent burning for 2/3rds of the way round a route then your either not normal or your a lucky boy. These horrendous, crippling 'shin splints' that always seemed to effect the token shitbag or fat **** are a load of cock, the perpetual whine of 'but staff..I've got shin splints' is vom inducing to say the least.

I did a poncy pre-deployment 4 miler at Chilwell a few years ago and by the time we had ascended as far up as the galley a merry trail of wheezing, shin rubbing stabs were stretched out as far as the eye can see, all looking over their shoulders for the jack wagon..

• Like Like x 1
  13. did you make it ?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

change to non impact, cycling is good and helps all round cardio fitness, gives you an upper body workout if you do enough hills, 40-80 miles a day getting used to the burn and you will fly through pfts.

15. My bezza had "shin splints", and it got to the point where he made several visits to Headley Court. During one of his visits he had an interview with his surgeon, that was when it was suggested my bezza accompanies the surgeon on his rounds.

After an hour or so of seeing the physically and mentally injured from Afghanistan he left never to return. A full recovery was made.

FBG