Shin splints problem

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by duckiciao, Jun 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok guys, Im pretty certain Ive got shin splints (off to see the doc tomorrow), and as a result, my training (hoping to be an officer, entering the factory late next year) has suffered disastrously. I can barely run 30m without having an incredibly painful experience in my shins (yes, both of them :cry: )

Is there any alternative training I can do, apart from biking to try and not antagonise the splints and to keep my cardio fitness high-ish so I don't start training at too much of a reduced level?

Id prefer to be outdoors, rather than in a sweaty gym.

Any help much appreciated,

2. Hi i think you should rest if you have shin splints. As training will do more harm than good!.

3. Thats what i would say to.

I also heard not sure if the guy who said was joking with my friend but he said he put a can of coke in the freezer let it freeze and then rolled it up and down the front of his shin. Don't take my word on it im not sure if it was a joke as i was only listening whilst chatting to someone else.
  4. I was in a similar situation to you.

I sorted out my shinsplints out with a mixture of treatment.

First of all rest. Until you can walk and they no longer hurt. Followed by strengthening exercises. See if you need insoles or the like.
  5. Firstly, can anyonoe ,anyone tell me when the term SHINSPLINTS first came into the MILITARY vocab????

If you want it that bad you will fight through.

All those Grand officers before you can't be wrong!!

As a SNCO the last thing I need is a 2LT on a C A telling me he can't go on because he has Shinsplints.

As a Sect comd I need the the same even less.

6. I haven't had them for a while.
    when in pain rest with your legs raised, and massage the flat part of your shin bone in circular motions up and down.
    I don't think there is a cure but doing this helped me allot, the massage gave me almost instant pain relief.
    There is a thread about a month back talking of the same thing.
  7. I am fine running but it is only when I am walking do I get pain in my shins, is this normal (for shin splints?) or a posture problem? I am going to see the doctor next week, been putting it off for ages; worried in case it is more serious/permanent. I even rested for a couple of months but to of no avail.
  8. Love the frozen coke idea - ice massage is a great for reducing the pain from shin splints

Treatment depends a lot on wether the pain is in your bone or muscles. In the muscles you need to back of training completely for a week or so and then build up again GRADUALLY. if its in the bone find a good podiatrist as is a biomechanical problem.

x-training is a great if not slightly gerbil like way of maintaining your cv fitness temporarily. If you really cant face it swimming and pool running is a good alternative.

when you're back to training mix your running/tabbing with x-training and some leg weights esp glutes
  9. Do you know how painful shin splints are!? Have you ever even had them? Imagine red hot pincers inside your shin bone, andyou may begin to get a picture. Its not a question of wanting it enough, its a question of being able to run more than 30m without curling up on the ground in excruciating pain.
  10. yes they kill, to the point were taking crutches on a run with you and downing 300 ibuprofen is just for starters.
  11. In my years of running, in one particular year averaging between 80 > 100 training / competition miles per week, I only experienced shin splints once. A painful memory it was to.

In addition to the advice given above and to maintain a 'running' technique in your training regime, invest £30 or so in a flotation jacket and head for your local swimming pool.

The jacket or waistbelt depending on design will hold you vertical in the water, point yourself at the opposite end of the pool and commence running.
    You will find that the 'lift' of your legs in the water will keep the quads in good order while the 'non impact' of the downward motions will not cause you any pain. The other advantages of this type of training is that it will cause you to 'think' about your running technique / style and you will be better placed to examine your particular body placement.
    Do not underestimate the cardio value of such routines. The very best to your endeavours!
  12. Sorry ninekphysio, I fully concur your remarks. I just spotted the 'pool running'.
  13. Yours doesn't sound liek shinsplints, merely your shin muscles developing!
  14. I had shin splints for 11 months last year. Very painful.
    See a sports physio, they will assess your posture, maybe recommend insoles for your footwear and appropriate training exercises.
    I personally would say start swimming, plenty of stretching lower legs before any training. Also When you feel that you are able to start running again, start on a softer surface, such as grass, laps of a rugby/footy pitch are perfect before gragually moving onto the harder surfaces, concrete/tarmac.
    First and foremost though, rest.

15. I think we share a boat fella, i can terrible shin splints whenever i hit the tarmac / play football. One remedy suggested to me and one that i am following is to get on the treadmill as it is a reduced impact, whislt still building up cardio. Then after a few weeks on the runner get out onto the tarmac.

Im guessing i have a bad choice of footwear as well....