Sherman Tank

#2
75mm M61 HE/APC-T
This is the 75mm APC cannon round used in the U.S. M4 Sherman Tank. The Sherman was the main American battle tank during WWII. Classified as a medium tank it weighed 35 tons and was made in a number of variations with different cannon, this being the type which rolled ashore on D-Day. Although capable of penetrating 3.7 inches of armor at 500 yards, its 75mm gun was a poor match for German tanks like the Tiger and Panther which had 4 to 4.8 inches of frontal armor. The Sherman's corresponding 2.8 inches was easily defeated by the Panzer's 75mm and 88mm high velocity cannon. However, the M4 was simple, reliable and agile, traits the larger German tanks lacked
 
#5
75mm Gun M2/M3/M6 -
Max Range (independent of mount) HE 14,000 yds (M3/M6 guns)
APC projectile 14,000 yds (M3/M6 guns)
HVAP T45 projectile capable of penetrating 2.5ins (64mm) of 30 degree homogenous armour at 2000yds range.

17Pdr Mk.IV & VII -
Max Range (independent of mount) HE Mk.IT shell 17,000yds
No max range given for AP projectile performance, but APCBC Mk.VIIIT projectile capable of penetrating 4.7ins (120mm) of 30 degree sloped armour at 1500yds, or 4.4ins (111mm) at 2000yds.

Source: Sherman: A History of the American Medium Tank by Richard P. Hunnicutt (the Bible for Sherman anoraks).
HTH,
B_D_S
 
B

Biscuits_AB

Guest
#6
smudge67 said:
75mm M61 HE/APC-T
This is the 75mm APC cannon round used in the U.S. M4 Sherman Tank. The Sherman was the main American battle tank during WWII. Classified as a medium tank it weighed 35 tons and was made in a number of variations with different cannon, this being the type which rolled ashore on D-Day. Although capable of penetrating 3.7 inches of armor at 500 yards, its 75mm gun was a poor match for German tanks like the Tiger and Panther which had 4 to 4.8 inches of frontal armor. The Sherman's corresponding 2.8 inches was easily defeated by the Panzer's 75mm and 88mm high velocity cannon. However, the M4 was simple, reliable and agile, traits the larger German tanks lacked
You been on the Airfix kits and glue again Smudge?
 
#7
Biscuits_AB said:
smudge67 said:
75mm M61 HE/APC-T
This is the 75mm APC cannon round used in the U.S. M4 Sherman Tank. The Sherman was the main American battle tank during WWII. Classified as a medium tank it weighed 35 tons and was made in a number of variations with different cannon, this being the type which rolled ashore on D-Day. Although capable of penetrating 3.7 inches of armor at 500 yards, its 75mm gun was a poor match for German tanks like the Tiger and Panther which had 4 to 4.8 inches of frontal armor. The Sherman's corresponding 2.8 inches was easily defeated by the Panzer's 75mm and 88mm high velocity cannon. However, the M4 was simple, reliable and agile, traits the larger German tanks lacked
You been on the Airfix kits and glue again Smudge?
Nope :) That was from Wikipedia I think??
 
#11
We're lucky enough to have a family house en Normandie which was used as an O Mess for les Boches and I am in constant need for more data to impress the family. My eldest is 4 and this time we will be discussing the impregnability of the Tiger 2 and the Royal and also the essentials of mission command. He needs to work on his appreciation skills and it stops him rabbitting on about the incessant crap on CBeebies etc etc...
 

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
#12
Harry is that Hans Von Luck in your Picture?
Have you read his book?

In 2003 in New York on an American Firing range at Fort Dix we were firing .50 Cal and MK 19 Grenade launchers at some old Shermans they had down range


Sorry back on topic when you ready :D
 
#13
Harry_Hesh said:
We're lucky enough to have a family house en Normandie which was used as an O Mess for les Boches and I am in constant need for more data to impress the family. My eldest is 4 and this time we will be discussing the impregnability of the Tiger 2 and the Royal and also the essentials of mission command. He needs to work on his appreciation skills and it stops him rabbitting on about the incessant crap on CBeebies etc etc...
Fantastic, when I have children I have plans on teaching them to be able to explain von Clausewitz to me by the age of 9 or I'll tan their hide!
 
#14
Harry_Hesh said:
We're lucky enough to have a family house en Normandie which was used as an O Mess for les Boches and I am in constant need for more data to impress the family. My eldest is 4 and this time we will be discussing the impregnability of the Tiger 2 and the Royal and also the essentials of mission command. He needs to work on his appreciation skills and it stops him rabbitting on about the incessant crap on CBeebies etc etc...
What's the old line? "Evenings at your place must just fly by!"

As you're in Normandy, are you teaching him the basics of the Three Hedge War?

Remember that pre-meditated killing of unarmed men isn't always a war crime, if it involves the presenters of Big Cook, Little Cook.
 
#15
It is the man indeed. His book was an outstanding read and an incredibly well balanced perspective.

Poor Shermans - Probably took one round and disintegrated.
 
#16
What's the old line? "Evenings at your place must just fly by!"

As you're in Normandy, are you teaching him the basics of the Three Hedge War?

Remember that pre-meditated killing of unarmed men isn't always a war crime, if it involves the presenters of Big Cook, Little Cook.[/quote]

Those evenings do - last night Mrs Hesh was thoroughly engossed by an account of Goodwood by Pip Roberts & von Luck on the old DVD player. Meanwhile the eldest son was running his brother through the structure of a ground brief in the garden.

This weekend, we will be concentrating on the Wittman tour and the principles of dropping one's guard for a brew and a fag whilst Germany's finest make you pay for such lapses.

After that the boys will be preparing an estimate for the advance to contact and destruction of Riverseafingle and that fat bitch Granny Murray (CBeebies for those not in the know) :)
 
#17
Harry is that Hans Von Luck in your Picture?
Have you read his book?
A very good book, it could really have stood a lot more detail. It left me wanting to know more, which is good I suppose. :?

Its a shame Col Von Luck's publisher didn't punch rather
than dribble :D

YM
 
#18
I have an old family friend (he himself commanded a Coy on D Day) who met Von Luck since the war and found him to be the most charming of individuals. I always think its such a shame that I never got to meet individuals such as him to get the other story.

That said, the German Col who occupied our French place came back in 1947 (according to my cousin - I was still 21 years away!) and bought a house down the lane with his wife. He then proceeded to visit our pile and claimed that he had never seen it before, would love to have a look around and hoped that his countrymen had looked after the place! The farmer from next door almost choked on his galoise as he'd been forced to keep the Col's uniform in order not 3 years prior! Apart from some pissed up luger action around the fireplace, they did actually look after it very well.
 
#19
the_boy_syrup said:
Harry is that Hans Von Luck in your Picture?
Have you read his book?

In 2003 in New York on an American Firing range at Fort Dix we were firing .50 Cal and MK 19 Grenade launchers at some old Shermans they had down range


Sorry back on topic when you ready :D
Pretty sure there was an M32 recovery variant lying on Hohne ranges in 2004 as a hard target just near were a load of dutch M113's with some strange ball things on the top were laid up as targets or the like if anyone knew were they were.

Harry you bought yourself a metal detector and been round the local area yet?
 
#20
brettarider said:
Harry you bought yourself a metal detector and been round the local area yet?
I haven't as I generally feel these things are best left undisturbed.

Besides, I'm trying to get the boys to go Armd and waving a metal detector might sway them towards the sappers! :wink:
 

Latest Threads

New Posts