• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Reference Image Sherman Tank M4 all marks and variations

tracks, lots and lots of tracks

View attachment 354425
That's interesting. I think that's a Sherman Mk Ib (M4 105mm) on the right. Any idea which unit these tanks belonged to?

As far as I'm aware, the only non-US/French formations to use the Sherman Ib in NW Europe were the 5th Canadian Armoured Division and 1st Canadian Armoured Brigade, as they'd brought them from Italy in early 1945 (every man and his dog had 105mm Shermans in Italy). But from the tracklink fetish, these look like they might be 1st Polish Armoured Division.

That's interesting. I think that's a Sherman Mk Ib (M4 105mm) on the right. Any idea which unit these tanks belonged to?

As far as I'm aware, the only non-US/French formations to use the Sherman Ib in NW Europe were the 5th Canadian Armoured Division and 1st Canadian Armoured Brigade, as they'd brought them from Italy in early 1945 (every man and his dog had 105mm Shermans in Italy). But from the tracklink fetish, these look like they might be 1st Polish Armoured Division.
Tried back tracking the image, the only thing I could come up with is that the picture is captioned as "Two Canadian Sherman tanks in liberated Den Haag, May 1945. "

Tried back tracking the image, the only thing I could come up with is that the picture is captioned as "Two Canadian Sherman tanks in liberated Den Haag, May 1945. "
Cheers, I'll have a dig. I know that the Dutch 'Prinses Irene' Brigade were at Den Haag, as there are stacks of photos of their vehicles piled high with very happy Dutch civvies... But they didn't have tanks, so I'll see who the parent formation was for the Prinses Irenes at that time.

Definitely Canadian I Corps in that sector, so 1st or 5th Canadian Armoured Brigade. Definitely not the Poles, as they were over at Wilhelmshaven by then.

Cheers, I'll have a dig. I know that the Dutch 'Prinses Irene' Brigade were at Den Haag, as there are stacks of photos of their vehicles piled high with very happy Dutch civvies... But they didn't have tanks, so I'll see who the parent formation was for the Prinses Irenes at that time.
Odd thing is, the forerunner for the Prinses Irene Brigade was the Dutch Legion, at one stage it was based in my home town

Queen Wilhelmina's birthday parade, 31 August 1940 (Dutch Anti-Aircraft Truck) near the Esplanade in Porthcawl
Queen Wilhelmina's birthday parade, 31 August 1940 (Dutch Anti-Aircraft Truck) near the Esplan...jpg

Odd thing is, the forerunner for the Prinses Irene Brigade was the Dutch Legion, at one stage it was based in my home town

Queen Wilhelmina's birthday parade, 31 August 1940 (Dutch Anti-Aircraft Truck) near the Esplanade in Porthcawl
View attachment 354849
It was indeed! We did some wreath-laying for the Mayor of Porthcawl in Normandy a few years back. The Belgian Brigade meanwhile, was raised at Penally Camp, Tenby. They've turned one of the gun bunkers at the Merville Battery into a very nice little museum for the two brigades. It's slightly bizarre to see men's paybooks there and see 'Tenby' and 'Porthcawl' pencilled in as the location of enlistment, as well as a photo of the Belgian Brigade being presented with their colours on the square in Tenby.