Reference Image Sherman Tank M4 all marks and variations

And the Russians used to call it "7 graves for 7 brothers" by all accounts
It was a different war on the Russian Stepps, the Krauts had 88s etc. Whereas in the Far East, the Japanese tanks were no better than the Italian vehicals and they didn't have an awful lot of them.

And now, for something completely different, a Sherman tank on Sker Point, near Porthcawl, shot and broadcast in 1948 by British Pathé, it shows the scrapping and salvaging of the ill-fated Liberty Ship at Sker Point with the aid of an M4 ’Sherman’ tank.

Its sites about a mile or so away from me

Ram ARVE (Armoured Recovery Vehicle, Engineers)
Ram ARVE (Armoured Recovery Vehicle, Engineers) .jpg

This is an M4 T10 mine clearing prototype
This is an M4 T10 mine clearing prototype .jpg

This is a tad rusty :)

Sherman-tank-divers-recovered-US-Russia-sea-1000813.jpg

Tanks-underwater-Sherman-828672.jpg

Yes, but against the Japs it was the Tiger of the East. :)
US Shermans and Lees were very vulnerable to Jap 47mm A/T fire, which is why you see USMC shermans with shedloads of track blocks welded over the glacis

US Shermans and Lees were very vulnerable to Jap 47mm A/T fire, which is why you see USMC shermans with shedloads of track blocks welded over the glacis
Yes, but thankfully there were precious few of those in Burma - only a handful of companies compared to lots of 37mm guns, which were largely ineffective. One tank-killer that gets mentioned a lot in the war diaries is 75mm HEAT rounds, which the Japs had issued to their artillery units and Type 88 75mm Flak units. In 1945, a lot of the more modern 75mm artillery pieces in motorised artillery regiments seem to have been used primarily as anti-tank guns, rather than as artillery.

Two highly-notable M3 kills in Burma/India were from a direct hit by a 320mm spigot mortar at Bishenpur (possibly the only tank-kill in history performed by an elephant-drawn weapon) and a Jap sitting in a hole in Mandalay with a 250-pound bomb and a hammer... :(

The Japanese did however, have a company of the rare Ho-Ni I SP 75mm guns in Burma (with the 14th Tank Regiment) which were potentially a great threat to Allied tanks, but they got left behind at Fort White during the advance to Imphal in 1944 and nothing more seems to be known about them. I've never heard of them ever being encountered in combat and I've never seen any photos of captured/KOd Ho-Nis.

This example is a poignant one. A tank recovered from the Exercise Tiger debacle on Slapton sands.

slapton%20nine%20big.jpg

Nice to see they acknowledged the guy responsible for recovering it.
slapton_sands2.jpg

This example is a poignant one. A tank recovered from the Exercise Tiger debacle on Slapton sands.

View attachment 349526

Nice to see they acknowledged the guy responsible for recovering it.
View attachment 349527
I read his book, this project ruined his Marriage, health and he was hassled by a collector for years after who wanted to claim it, a nice guy Ken Small, really dedicated to the memories of all those D day soldiers and sailors who died on Tiger due to land at Utah Beach.

did the T10 get passed prototype? what a monster, how do you steer such a thing? the strain on the final drives must have been immense
prototype only it seems, it also had two engines in the wheels, presumable that helped steer it, a bit like a boat - increasing and decreasing the relative speed of each roller.

For a M4 based mine clearance that worked....providing you had balls of steel, there was this

The Prototype M4 CDL

RaY5If7.jpg

Something a bit different, a Ram 3.7 inch AT ….an idea that forsome odd reason failed to work out
1.png

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.png

5.jpg

Pretty much what the Hermans were making and calling Marder!
Closet to their version would of been the Versuchsflakwagen 8.8cm FLAK 41 auf Sonderfahrgestell ….try saying that when you're pissed :)

Attachments

ugly

LE
Closet to their version would of been the Versuchsflakwagen 8.8cm FLAK 41 auf Sonderfahrgestell ….try saying that when you're pissed :)
Only if used or intended to be mobile flak, that 3.7 would have made reasonable artillery

ugly

LE
The Marder was a good way of making mobile artillery using redundant/superseded/captured tanks.