Shell Shock - PTSD

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by 2/51, Nov 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I somehow cam across this video of a British WW1 soldier suffering from shell shock.

Shell Shock Victim (WW1) - YouTube

I wish there were more information on the treatment and what this particular chaps life was like after his treatment.

I don't think I have seen anything so disturbing related to shell shock/ptsd.
  2. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

there are a lot of old clips like that around very disturbing and even more so that it was attributed to lack of moral fibre which was a shamefull stain on themselves and the nation.

as to treatment - like the poor buggers who had acid treatment for burns giving them leather faces and gas victims they were hidden away, strapped up and drugged into oblivion.

there has been a couple of documentaries on the subject.

still previously such characters would have ended up in beldam mental hospital with a pay per view audience.
  3. This is such a sad and disturbing video. It's absolutely insane that war can affect a human being so much. Amazing to know what is going on in his head and what he has seen or had to do to be like that?

Great post it's opened up a few hours of reading and research. But also very sad at the same time.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  4. I believe the RAF were very keen on this LMF tag in WWII.
  5. Contrary to the populist view, the evidence is that the psychological effects of warfare were recognised early in WW1, and a wide range of treatments developed. Hundreds of thousands were screened, and many seemed to have been helped by treatment. It seems that even troops on the ground, let alone professional medical personnel, became expert at judging an individual's condition, and differentiating between temporary funk, battle fatigue, serious psychological damage - or men shirking their duty in one way or another. Its interesting to read how much "PTSD" or other disorders was treated in the same way as has been concluded today - i.e. retaining the individual in his unit, even in a combat zone, and easing the stress through banter and comradeship.
  6. A controversial topic. The men who served in both World Wars had no real training prior to being sent to the front line. Many men who suffered from PTSD in WW1 were so badly affected that they "Deserted." Caught and shot or hung. It doesn't happen today as we know so much about PTSD.
  7. Its a subject that facinates me, having seen what PTSD does to families in a professional role as well as my own family.

Also, watching the documentry about excavating a WW1 trench last night showed that maybe all was not as it seemed in the history books and that conditions were far worse than are normally quoted. Terrible to think that men actually drowned in trenches!

The use of gas as well must have been terrifying!
  8. Everyone who has served on ops has seen unpleasant and horrible events, but for sheer unremitting horror the Great War in the trenches must surely be the worst that the British Army has ever had to live through, although the Japanese POW camps must be a pretty close second place.

As one of the posters has already mention, God alone knows what that poor guy had been through. My dad never really got over WW2, but just knuckled down afterwards and got on with his life.

There but for the grace of God...