Sheffield flypast / Tony Foulds

Flypast honours bomber-crash crew

Met Tony many times as he's in one of my old stomping grounds and hes a smashing chap, but still very much wracked with guilt that he may have saved the crews lives if he'd got out of the way when he was 7, they were a us bomber crew badly damaged on the way home from Germany and aimed for crash landing in the park, saw the kids including Tony and chose to pull up and hit the wood behind the park . He created and has tended the memorial in the park ever since.
Massive credit to BBC brekky journo Dan Walker for pulling out all the stops to get the flypast organised and the RAF and USAAF for delivering an old man's dream to honour courageous men he feels he owes his life to.

A life time of mourning and honouring their memory because as a 7 year old he mistook 'get the feck out of the way' waving for just waving rather starkly contrasts with the Begum appologists 'yes she clearly knew what she was doing but was just a child.'

The BBC did push this as the old man couldn't. So hats off to the BBC..... Awaits mong Button pushers

Last edited:
I'm genuinely surprised he has made it this far.
I really felt for the old chap, but such a heavy weight could have worn him into an earlier grave.
He said himself it just gets worse for him as time goes on.
Surely to God someone professional ought to step in...or perhaps they have and he does not want it.
Seems he has a good solid family thankfully.
I suspect there will be a few TransAtlantic flights when his own time comes.
Wish I could meet him though.

Just tried to explain the point of this fly past to the wife and got absolutely choked up and looked mental.
Brilliant to see how pleased he was, incredibly sad that hes carried this weight for so long.

I think Mr Foulds needs an MBE, not more threads on ARRSE.

There's three videos on the Mi Amigo thread of my view of the flypast as they flew directly over.

This is the third thread I've posted this in, first in the Mi Amigo thread: A view of the F15E performing the Missing Man from the cockpit.

That's when it got dusty.....

Dunno what other folk think, I was surprised that the Sally B didn't make an appearance.
I thought she may have ben a surprise, you know they'd listed all the aircraft taking part, just thought she may have came in alongside the Spit bit of extra edge. Ive got the feeling that Tony is going to find himself Stateside very soon

I can see Tony going to the USA courtesy of the USAF and being treated extremely well by them in the very near future.

My house was very dusty as well for some inexplicable reason.

I'm pleased this has happened but have to ask WTF was a B17 trying to crash in a park in Sheffield in the first place. Its not as if there weren't airfields in the area and fields all around. The circumstances where the park was the only bit of green to aim at must have been pretty unique.

I'm pleased this has happened but have to ask WTF was a B17 trying to crash in a park in Sheffield in the first place. Its not as if there weren't airfields in the area and fields all around. The circumstances where the park was the only bit of green to aim at must have been pretty unique.
She was slowly losing height, got herself where she couldn't climb above the trees so the nearest bit of land that didn't have 300 Yorkshiremen living on it was the only option. The feel very strongly abut folks putting a B-17 in their front parlour down there