Sheds with Beds. Councils need Money so are Cracking Down Harder

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by geezer466, Jun 23, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. They could mount this technology onto a drone. Would make it cheaper still with a third party firm operating it.
    Could be used for all sorts of surveying work and it can only now be a matter of time before civil business is allowed access to this technology over the skies of the UK.

As soon as the Government dreams up a way to regulate it (another name for taxing it).

Do the general population (not those with sheds with beds) need to worry about this?

Of course councils are strapped for cash which is why they are dreaming up ever innovative ways of raising funds. Newham last week refused to refund illegally gathered traffic fines and some council have been found to be running their fixed penalty departments purely as revenue generation avenues without any hint or reference to the real reason they should be enforcing these rules.

Of course this action will be seen by some as racist as clearly it is only affects some sections of the community who in the main participate in this sort of stuff.

It seems when it comes down to it, revenue generation trumps political correctness every time......

Satellite thermal images to track migrant workers housed in 'sheds' - Telegraph

Council uses spy plane with thermal imaging cameras to catch immigrants living illegally in garden sheds | Mail Online

Having lived in the West London area for a number of years I would say the problems around Slough, Hillingdon, Ealing, Hounslow, Harrow and other nearby boroughs is huge. the Slough figure of 3000 top end is a huge under estimation.

2. I'm sensing you we're wearing a tinfoil hat when you write this.

Many of theses 'sheds' are actually full on conversions with central heating, running water, kitchens etc. why the hell should somebody who is living in, for all intents and purposes, a house not pay council tax.

And yes, councils are strapped for cash. Whilst labour, SNP councils etc freeze council taxes in order to bribe the electorate, squander millions on multiculturalism, diversity and other ism's. Additional money has to be raised to finance their chauffeur driven cars.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Slough

Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough!
    It isn't fit for humans now,
    There isn't grass to graze a cow.
    Swarm over, Death!

Come, bombs and blow to smithereens
    Those air -conditioned, bright canteens,
    Tinned fruit, tinned meat, tinned milk, tinned beans,
    Tinned minds, tinned breath.

Mess up the mess they call a town-
    A house for ninety-seven down
    And once a week a half a crown
    For twenty years.

And get that man with double chin
    Who'll always cheat and always win,
    Who washes his repulsive skin
    In women's tears:

And smash his desk of polished oak
    And smash his hands so used to stroke
    And stop his boring dirty joke
    And make him yell.

But spare the bald young clerks who add
    The profits of the stinking cad;
    It's not their fault that they are mad,
    They've tasted Hell.

It's not their fault they do not know
    The birdsong from the radio,
    It's not their fault they often go
    To Maidenhead

And talk of sport and makes of cars
    In various bogus-Tudor bars
    And daren't look up and see the stars
    But belch instead.

In labour-saving homes, with care
    Their wives frizz out peroxide hair
    And dry it in synthetic air
    And paint their nails.

And immigrants who dwell in sheds
    Who lay to rest their fuzzy heads
    on 100 pound piss stained beds
    the local wails.

Come, friendly bombs and fall on Slough
    To get it ready for the plough.
    The cabbages are coming now;
    The earth exhales.

I added a stanza.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Not so sure mate. Even if there are full on conversions they have been built 'at the bottom of the garden' and almost certainly do not have planning permission.

Councils would almost certainly never approve such a dwelling anyway which means most if not all do not have permission.

If they don't have permission they are not on the councils radar.

Up till 6 years ago I lived in the UB4 postcode. Chap over the back from me had a huge garden and built a two storey dwelling in it. Put in full services and drainage (connected through his garden).

Of course living so close I checked website for the permissions, there was none. I then complained to the council who were not in the slightest interested.

When I queried this with my local councillor he simply mentioned there was no will in the council hierarchy to deal with it and that there hadn't been for years.

Such was the issue that there was no will to enforce local planning rules (and everyone knew it) the problem over the last 10 years or so has become endemic. I am still in touch with my old neighbours and they say the problem today is much worse. An easy rental income stream with no strings attached which a hell of a lot of people have jumped into.

Going on it will be interesting as to how they will proceed with this. Grant retrospective PP (which would still be in contravention of local plans and rules) and levy council tax or insist they are all removed.

How many houses do you know with a 2 storey dwelling built in the back garden in a wholly urban setting.

In the end I sold the house and moved on as the upper storeys of this dwelling overlooked my garden. Luckily it never affected my selling price as this was still at the height of the boom.

5. Hammer/Nail Interface Achieved. The reason councils are strapped for cash is because they keep pissing it away on stupid, worthless crap no one cares about or needs - yes, I'm looking at you and your Tram System, City of Edinburgh.:-x

You work for the council because you're too retarded/lazy to work in the Private Sector.:roll:

• Like Like x 2
  6. of course as soon as one of these bodge jobs catches fire and incinerates its occupants cries will go out to stop it
    of course they are not paying rates or any other forms of taxes
    extra waste generated
    the real possibility of diseases spreading
    and of course a few grredy folk line their back pockets with cash ( untaxed) and cruise around in big cars and have flash holidays
    I think the council should go round and flatten the things
    I have a huge garage/workshop fully insulated and double glazed but you would be hard pressed to get much more than a cat inside the thing !!( its full of crap or classic cars depending on your point of view)

7. I dont care about the rates and taxes, most are illegal so get them out!!

Wont happen but "I have a dream!"

8. Look around any housing estate, notice the caravans in the gardens with the sky dish and trailing power lead. Very common round my way.

• Like Like x 1
  9. A consequence of insane house prices?

Kids can't afford to buy which causes all this......

10. I had a couple of large double garages built to house a workshop and store my classic cars and bikes.
    Although the council were happy enough with double glazed, fully lined, insulated, power etc, the would not approve running water to them and specifically noted on th planning approval that domestic habitation was not permitted. They were clearly suspicious of the very high standard of fit out of the workshop/office. It would indeed make a very nice builders dorm for half a dozen Stefans.

11. That of course highlights another problem. Building regulations would say that permanent construction over a certain size (concrete sheds and single garages probably exempted) would have to be properly insulated and may need a formal inspection during the building process to ensure good build quality safety ect.

How many of these have circumvented all this and are of dubious build quality?

You did the correct thing and applied for formal permission which the council granted subject to certain conditions.
    The vast majority of these did not because they knew they would not give the permission and they were not policing/enforcing it anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Try Ealing or Southall.

The "sheds with beds" game has moved on.

Extension or "outbuilding" built with PP as a games room/exercise area/sunroom or whatever, inspected once and never again. Then gets fully plumbed in to services, in many cases separate access provided and then a postal address as "no 69B" or whatever.

Net result is that there are entire streets where majority of gardens have gone and replaced by such dwellings. And oddly enough until 2011 the Council really did not want to know and even now is making only a token effort.

13. The issue is endemic across certain areas of West London. The three pics below are all from the UB4 postcode and are all within 300 metres of each other. All taken from google streetview.

The first is in direct contravention of PP as the build it right up to the boundary with the gutter line overhanging the pavement. This was actually built around 2004 and I complained at the time but nothing was done.

The second was a garage which was converted and the third is a new construction going on behind a screened fence.

There is also the fraud aspect to consider. The scale of this has reached such proportions that local authorities are probably losing hundreds of Millions in council tax, and I am sure that every single landlord is declaring every cent of rental income to the exchequer..

Attached Files:

14. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

This was on the national evening news a few months back. First problem is that there's an ethnicity issue - for which read housing for illegal immigrants who've paid a fortune to come here from south-east Asia in search of the 'good life', so there's a racial harassment card can be played. Second is that investigating officers have/had to give 24 hours' notice of any intention to search a premise - plenty of time to make a premise look like it's not occupied by anyone who shouldn't be there.

Oddly enough, the story went quiet.