Sharpe shooters to bolster war on Taliban

From The Sunday TimesFebruary 24, 2008

Sharpe shooters to bolster war on Taliban
David Leppard

THE elite infantry unit made famous by the television series Sharpe, which starred Sean Bean, is to be deployed to fight the Taliban on the front line in Afghanistan.

Military commanders say that the battalion, 1 Rifles, consisting of 450 crack troops and support, will be deployed alongside 3 Commando Brigade of the Royal Marines in September.

The move, to be announced by Des Browne, the defence secretary, this summer, will mean that there will be more than 8,000 troops in Afghanistan - a significant upgrading of Britain’s fighting capability.

It heralds a tacit recognition by ministers and military chiefs that the situation in the province of Helmand is precarious and may deteriorate further if Britain’s presence is not reinforced
More on the link
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3423413.ece

Sharpe was originially the 95th. He was attached, mit men, to the South Essex (amongst others) a fictional unit. He and his men retained their Riflemans jackets and proceded to fight in a general Rifleman way, but in a (and in command of a) Light Coy in a Line Inf Bn.

Exclding the various special missions he undertook,a nd the bits when he was on the HQ Staff and still spent most of the time fighting.

Of course the men of 1 Rifles will look more like this.....

Than this (the unit that Sharpe made famous)

Did Sharpe ever go to Afghanistan? I know Flashman did :p

I think that youll find that some of the 1 rifles have done some of AACC to be a new composite part of 3 Cdo Bde also.

Not trying to deviate this post but I've often wondered how Historians might view the likes of Sharpe, Hornblower and Aubrey in, say, a thousand years time. If the novels were the only thing to survive as a record, would Historians be falling over themselves screaming "Wah!" and "Walt!"

IIRC the 1st two Sharpe novels were set in India, including the bit where he rescues Wellington form certain doom (at Assaye before he was actually Wellington I think)
Def India but don't recall any reference to Afghanistan :D

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
Fallschirmjager said:
Why are 1 Rifles elite? Are they all commando trained now? Genuine question BTW.
I think the 'elite' bit is journalistic license. No they are not all commando trained.

Fallschirmjager said:
Why are 1 Rifles elite? Are they all commando trained now? Genuine question BTW.
No offense to the regiment under discussion, but is it not SOP for journo's to refer to ANY regiment they are writing about as "elite"?

Makes for a better story, I suppose... :roll:

They're elite because they are part of the British Army. But seriously I think its probably journo speak in the same way that every person a journo speaks to and quotes is an officer and everyone who serves on ops is a hero even if they only perform the important task of denying people access to the QMs

I seem to recall an article in the Scum about SEME Bordon a few years back, referring to my own august Corps as "Elite". Mum was so proud.

Will LE Rifles officers be issued with Heavy Cavalry-pattern swords from now on then? And will the 1 RIFLES motto be changed to "Chosen men... TO ME!"

Just as long as we're not getting issued Baker Rifles...

bitterandtwisted said:
I think that youll find that some of the 1 rifles have done some of AACC to be a new composite part of 3 Cdo Bde also.
1 the rifles are now part of 3cd but as far as im aware there has been no increase in commando training for them. Some maybe trained, But only like some members of any unit might be.

Themanwho said:
I seem to recall an article in the Scum about SEME Bordon a few years back, referring to my own august Corps as "Elite". Mum was so proud.

Will LE Rifles officers be issued with Heavy Cavalry-pattern swords from now on then? And will the 1 RIFLES motto be changed to "Chosen men... TO ME!"

Just as long as we're not getting issued Baker Rifles...
And the RSM will have to change his name to Harper! :twisted:

I understand the Light Infantry regiments are the true ancestors of The Rifles.

The Green Jackets are “johnny come latelys”, whilst the M4 lot and the D&Ds are very nouveau.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
Balleh said:
I understand the Light Infantry regiments are the true ancestors of The Rifles.

The Green Jackets are “johnny come latelys”, whilst the M4 lot and the D&Ds are very nouveau.
Mate is this a wind up? Assuming I'm not being WAH'ed -

The original "The Rifle Regiment" or "95 Rifles" became the Rifle Brigade, which in the late 1950's became the 3rd Green Jackets (RB) and in 1966 became the 3rd Battalion of the Royal Green Jackets, which in the early 1990's became 2 RGJ and last year became 4 RIFLES.

Along with the RB was the Kings Royal Rifle Corp, which also became a RGJ battalion and is now 2 RIFLES. The Light Infantry regiments were line infantry units whereas Rifle regiments were not of the line, but skirmishers who marched ahead of the column.

Have a look here: The Rifles - Origins & Traditions.

I thought the whole point of creating the RNLI was to support 3 Cdo Bde on ops.

It's amazing how you can make a story out of nothing.

Times exclusive: The pope announces he's catholic!

PS. Did the fictional Sharpe ever serve with any of these: 11th, 28th, 39th, 49th, 61st, 62nd, 66th or 99th of Foot? They are, I believe, the origins of the Royal Navy Light Infantry.

Themanwho said:
And will the 1 RIFLES motto be changed to "Chosen men... TO ME!"
No thats the new orders process!!!!! :roll: