sharp pain very localised in middle of calf question

#1
After a heavy week of running (30miles+) I sometimes end up with a sharp pain in the middle of my left calf..This pain can be run threw, but my question is...Wghat is it? How to avoid it? Will it cause bigger problems etc
 
#4
Query calf muscle partial tear possibly with some built up scar tissue. Lots of rest and if bad see your MO for physio. It could be potentially very bad if you ignore it to destruction, or just be annoying. I know what I would choose.
 
#5
green_slime said:
Query calf muscle partial tear possibly with some built up scar tissue. Lots of rest and if bad see your MO for physio. It could be potentially very bad if you ignore it to destruction, or just be annoying. I know what I would choose.
Woah! I didn't realise it could be something so serious! Will tread very lightly and keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the heads up.

J.
 
#6
JayCam said:
green_slime said:
Query calf muscle partial tear possibly with some built up scar tissue. Lots of rest and if bad see your MO for physio. It could be potentially very bad if you ignore it to destruction, or just be annoying. I know what I would choose.
Woah! I didn't realise it could be something so serious! Will tread very lightly and keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the heads up.

J.
Probably what I got.

I've stopped training for two months now but I still get pain at random times of the day.

See the EX_STAB rehab thread for the sorry details but it sounds very familiar. I knackered mine in May last year and it just never got better despite regular medical attention.

Good luck.
 
#7
JayCam said:
green_slime said:
Query calf muscle partial tear possibly with some built up scar tissue. Lots of rest and if bad see your MO for physio. It could be potentially very bad if you ignore it to destruction, or just be annoying. I know what I would choose.
Woah! I didn't realise it could be something so serious! Will tread very lightly and keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the heads up.

J.
THREAD THEIF
 
#8
#9
If you have a tear that has formed scar tissue you have to manipulate it out. Think of it like the inside of a bungee where a number of the elastic strands have melted together. That part of the muscle will not stretch out and impedes the rest of the muscle.

You have to be quite firm using your thumbs to get in deep, this is why Physio is best, but once shown you can do it yourself. This breaks down the knotted area restoring flexibility.

Not really serious if you sort it now.
 
#12
Could also be just common cramps, due to the strain given to the untrained body.
 
#13
I just knackered mine this evening during rugby training-it felt as if I'd been whacked hard in the calf and it brought me from full on sprint (for a prop cough cough) to a stop instantly. I'm stretching it as much as I can, used deep-freeze on it and am eating brufen as if they were smarties. I thought I had warmed up fully but obviously I didn't! I'm now hobbling around like a mong. :oops:
 
#14
the_matelot said:
I just knackered mine this evening during rugby training-it felt as if I'd been whacked hard in the calf and it brought me from full on sprint (for a prop cough cough) to a stop instantly. I'm stretching it as much as I can, used deep-freeze on it and am eating brufen as if they were smarties. I thought I had warmed up fully but obviously I didn't! I'm now hobbling around like a mong. :oops:

Nothing new here then aye? :p :wink:
 
#16
I had this problem in 2005/6 while training for a marathon. It was so severe I did not want to even leave the house to train.

First thing to do is check trainers are not too old or the wrong sort (bargain shoes, bargain on pain) they will mess you up.

Second thing is to try and vary training. I was advised to do some off road cycling (not quite mountain biking, just bumpy tracks) which stretched and exercised the same muscles and then to do some speed walking (it does work).

Same training regime last year bought new shoes and no hassles whatsoever. Only time my legs hurt was at the end of the race.
 
#17
the_matelot said:
I just knackered mine this evening during rugby training-it felt as if I'd been whacked hard in the calf and it brought me from full on sprint (for a prop cough cough) to a stop instantly. I'm stretching it as much as I can, used deep-freeze on it and am eating brufen as if they were smarties. I thought I had warmed up fully but obviously I didn't! I'm now hobbling around like a mong. :oops:
When I looked this up on google apparently that is the sensation when you suffer this problem "being whacked on the back of the leg". I would definately get it seen to if I was you, sounds nasty, hope its not!

J.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Miner The Intelligence Cell 39
B Health and Fitness 14
Prodigal Films, Music and All Things Artsy 16

Similar threads

New Posts

Top