Sharks.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by crabtastic, Sep 26, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RTFQ

RTFQ RIP

There is quite a bit of evidence to suggest that sharks (whites anyway) often take a nibble and decide you ain't a seal so ain't worth the effort (they need the body fat you see...). Google a few shark attacks and the ratio of single bite attacks is much higher than the "man dragged off to sea and gobbled whole" type attacks. Of course, their nibbles still kill you if an artery or major organ gets sampled.

2. In the words of Andy Pipkin "Yeah, I know", but I still wouldn't want to be one of the data points for this on-going study.

3. RTFQ

RTFQ RIP

I'd be doing what steve Irwin does - swim behind him, pulling his tail and speaking in a fcukwit accent to his annoying, yet mucky-looking, wife. Or dive on the fecker from a perfectly good boat, wrap him in a blanket and carry him under your arm to the pub to show your mates.

4. I was in Oz a couple of years back and getting ready to go to work. I had the telly switched on for a bit of background noise listening to the antipodean version of GMTV.

This article came on about a shark attack up in the surfing region and this (aussie) bloke had a tete-a-tete with a great white. It took a chunk out of his board and another lump out of his lower calf. Naturally he had to go to hospital, where they interviewed him.

He was really displeased that he'd missed out on half a days surfing due to the inconvenience of having his leg stitched back together. When asked if he would consider surfing again he came out with 'of course mate, it was only playing'. Lunatics - the lot of them.

I'd sum up my own feeling on the subject by quoting Billy Connoly:

[broad mid Atlantic/Glaswegian drawl]

'there's only two things that terrify me when I'm swimming in the sea; that's sharks fins and toilet paper'

[/broad mid Atlantic/Glaswegian drawl]

5. The water at Groote can be interesting. Thirty years ago I was there briefly and the locals said "There's the sea snake season and the sea wasp season - no sharks though, the crocs got them"

6. I went cage diving with Great Whites at Gansbaii, Seth Efrika, earlier this year. So yeah, I do know:)

7. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

What's the source of that info Dzerzhinskiey ?

8. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

No worries, thanks for the link.

9. Well if that did happen then its completely unacceptable and should be banned. But this is not what usually happens during shark diving trips with reputable operators. The shark is not encouraged to attack the underwater cage in any way…

Some people would argue that feeding the sharks increases their population and exposes swimmers/surfers in the area to greater to risk… I’m no marine biologist but I’m very sceptical about this because throughout the entire day the boat only feeds a couple of tuna to the sharks… not very much relative to the quantities of scrumptious seal around…

The only thing I’d change it to maybe make the divers invisible to the shark… just in case they make the connection SWIMMER = FOOD… Also, I think some of the cages have sharp edges which could hurt sharhy but that’s easily rectified.

Overall, anything that teaches humans a bit more about the marine environment, whether its watching a boring documentary or going for a dip with one, can’t be all that bad?

Tricam.