Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Shark Attack" to be replaced after 45 Years with new Event to Indoctrinate New Infantry Recruits.

Mate,

One method that the British Army would employ to ‘establish dominance and weed out undesirables’ was to order recruits to parade in Mess Tin Order. Normally with very little time allotted to this task.

Does the US Army have a similar ‘event’?

Bollocks.

Mate,

One method that the British Army would employ to ‘establish dominance and weed out undesirables’ was to order recruits to parade in Mess Tin Order. Normally with very little time allotted to this task.

Does the US Army have a similar ‘event’?
They did when I first went in in 1970 during the Vietnam War/Draft era, although I don't know what the DIs called it among themselves; "sergeant's business" I suppose. The TAC Officers at Warrant Officer Basic Course when I obtained my commission used a similar style of shouting chaos to accomplish the same purpose. This was just after Gulf War One in 1991. They gave you too much to do and not enough time to do it all in, which taught you and your fellow candidates to work together to get it all done. Which was the point of the exercise. By the time you were ready for the second phase of Warrant Officers School, (in which the candidate demonstrated his grasp of the duties of the MOSC he was shooting for) you were working along with your mates like a well-oiled machine and the further adventures were not much worse than a charm school.

They did when I first went in in 1970 during the Vietnam War/Draft era, although I don't know what the DIs called it among themselves; "sergeant's business" I suppose. The TAC Officers at Warrant Officer Basic Course when I obtained my commission used a similar style of shouting chaos to accomplish the same purpose. This was just after Gulf War One in 1991. They gave you too much to do and not enough time to do it all in, which taught you and your fellow candidates to work together to get it all done. Which was the point of the exercise. By the time you were ready for the second phase of Warrant Officers School, (in which the candidate demonstrated his grasp of the duties of the MOSC he was shooting for) you were working along with your mates like a well-oiled machine and the further adventures were not much worse than a charm school.
Brilliant reply, thank you.

I think I am on safe ground to state that both our military’s use variations of a theme to get the same type of bond/cohesion etc.

My reference to ‘Mess Tin Order’ was slightly tongue in cheek as it was a type of parade where instead of turning up in (for example) full combat gear or a parade outfit you would effectively be naked but with a mess tin ‘front and rear’ so to speak!

If done in a humorous, controlled manner no harm done. If done, as with anything, with a sadist angle than of course not good at all.

But that is only my opinion. Others here may well disagree!

Rgds

SB

Latest Threads