Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Shark Attack" to be replaced after 45 Years with new Event to Indoctrinate New Infantry Recruits.

Jesus wept. The old "shark attack" of yelling Drill Instructors to establish dominance and to weed out those undesirables whose heart isn't really in the Infantry is being replaced by a new five-phase program called The First 100 Yards". The Infantry syllabus is also being increased in length from 18 weeks to 22 weeks. I hope it achieves the desired result, but we will have to wait and see.

Draft-era ‘shark attacks’ on Army infantry recruits are over

Kyle Rempfer

21 September 2020

An initiation developed during the Army’s draft years to help drill sergeants establish “psychological dominance” over infantry trainees has been replaced by a new event intended to emphasize teamwork and trust, according to the Army Infantry School’s senior enlisted soldier.

The decades-old "shark attack” was marked by drill sergeants yelling in trainees' faces as they stepped off the buses at Fort Benning, Georgia, ordering them to perform exercises using loaded duffel bags and instilling a sense of submission in trainees on their first day of training.

“The cornerstones of the event were to establish dominance and authority using intimidation and fear," Command Sgt. Maj. Robert Fortenberry said in a video presenting the school’s new “First 100 Yards” event at the 2020 Maneuver Warfighter Conference, which occurred virtually Sept. 9-10.

“Drill sergeants were charged with assessing the trainees ability to handle stress, singling out the perceived undesirables by enveloping them in a manner that emulated a shark attack,” Fortenberry said.

“This activity, however, does not instill the spirit of the infantry. It betrays the innate trust between teammates and worse, betrays the crucial bond of trust with our leaders,” Fortenberry added.

The old intimidation event was seen as necessary, given the large number of draftees who served in the Army during the Vietnam War. The new event, though, is intended for an all-volunteer force.

The new “First 100 Yards” event will replace shark attacks as trainees' first experience at the 22-week infantry training program.

The five-phase event was developed on-site by senior non-commissioned officers at the Infantry School, officials there said in a news release.

The phases require trainees to memorize information about their unit histories and chains of command; conduct a simplified resupply mission; perform events from the new Army Combat Fitness Test, including leg tucks, standing power throws and push-ups; and observe an infantry squad and weapons demonstration.

It ends with trainees moving to their new platoon bays to begin 14 days of isolated training as part of the recently implemented COVID-19 protocols.

The First 100 Yards event is only the first day of trainees' next 22 weeks of infantry training, which was increased from 14 weeks in 2018 to give trainees more time to develop infantry skill sets, like navigation and weapons handling.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I had to laugh at this fat body DI from the 98th RRC punching this recruit's duffle bag off his head. He needs to cut the carbohydrates out of his diet and step up the level of his aerobic activity a little in the gym to get the approved Drill Instructor V-Shape that would be intimidating.

2020-09-21 (10).png

That's me that is that provided the model for the Vietnam War exhibit at the Infanry Museum at FT Benning. Ain't I handsome?

2020-09-21 (12).png

I never did understand the need for unintelligible screaming and resultant spitting at US recruits.

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman is up there laughing at you Army pussies and on his knees to god saying "Please don't let them introduce these faggots into my Marine Corp.

Stand by for the "Baby Shark Attack" replacement.

If that doesn't have them crying for their mommas, play it some more.

Oh, and you're all welcome to the earworm for the next forty-eight hours.

I never did understand the need for unintelligible screaming and resultant spitting at US recruits.
It does help one develop the ability to work under pressure. Besides you ain’t living until you get “Brimmed”.

But never be a smart ass, as you will pay for it ten fold.

I went to school in the 70's and 80's
Shouting and things bouncing off my head were just a normal everyday occupational hazard.

I went in the 70’s, board rubbers flying at you and the cane were considered part of growing up. I still find the Pythonesque verbal attacks and body language of US drill instructors deserving of Emmys.

I went in the 70’s, board rubbers flying at you and the cane were considered part of growing up. I still find the Pythonesque verbal attacks and body language of US drill instructors deserving of Emmys.

Sexton Blake

War Hero
Jesus wept. The old "shark attack" of yelling Drill Instructors to establish dominance and to weed out those undesirables whose heart isn't really in the Infantry is being replaced by a new five-phase program called The First 100 Yards". The Infantry syllabus is also being increased in length from 18 weeks to 22 weeks. I hope it achieves the desired result, but we will have to wait and see.

Draft-era ‘shark attacks’ on Army infantry recruits are over

Kyle Rempfer

21 September 2020

An initiation developed during the Army’s draft years to help drill sergeants establish “psychological dominance” over infantry trainees has been replaced by a new event intended to emphasize teamwork and trust, according to the Army Infantry School’s senior enlisted soldier.

The decades-old "shark attack” was marked by drill sergeants yelling in trainees' faces as they stepped off the buses at Fort Benning, Georgia, ordering them to perform exercises using loaded duffel bags and instilling a sense of submission in trainees on their first day of training.

“The cornerstones of the event were to establish dominance and authority using intimidation and fear," Command Sgt. Maj. Robert Fortenberry said in a video presenting the school’s new “First 100 Yards” event at the 2020 Maneuver Warfighter Conference, which occurred virtually Sept. 9-10.

“Drill sergeants were charged with assessing the trainees ability to handle stress, singling out the perceived undesirables by enveloping them in a manner that emulated a shark attack,” Fortenberry said.

“This activity, however, does not instill the spirit of the infantry. It betrays the innate trust between teammates and worse, betrays the crucial bond of trust with our leaders,” Fortenberry added.

The old intimidation event was seen as necessary, given the large number of draftees who served in the Army during the Vietnam War. The new event, though, is intended for an all-volunteer force.

The new “First 100 Yards” event will replace shark attacks as trainees' first experience at the 22-week infantry training program.

The five-phase event was developed on-site by senior non-commissioned officers at the Infantry School, officials there said in a news release.

The phases require trainees to memorize information about their unit histories and chains of command; conduct a simplified resupply mission; perform events from the new Army Combat Fitness Test, including leg tucks, standing power throws and push-ups; and observe an infantry squad and weapons demonstration.

It ends with trainees moving to their new platoon bays to begin 14 days of isolated training as part of the recently implemented COVID-19 protocols.

The First 100 Yards event is only the first day of trainees' next 22 weeks of infantry training, which was increased from 14 weeks in 2018 to give trainees more time to develop infantry skill sets, like navigation and weapons handling.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I had to laugh at this fat body DI from the 98th RRC punching this recruit's duffle bag off his head. He needs to cut the carbohydrates out of his diet and step up the level of his aerobic activity a little in the gym to get the approved Drill Instructor V-Shape that would be intimidating.

View attachment 506293

That's me that is that provided the model for the Vietnam War exhibit at the Infanry Museum at FT Benning. Ain't I handsome?

View attachment 506294
Mate,

One method that the British Army would employ to ‘establish dominance and weed out undesirables’ was to order recruits to parade in Mess Tin Order. Normally with very little time allotted to this task.

Does the US Army have a similar ‘event’?

But never be a smart ass, as you will pay for it ten fold.
I learnt that one at Sandhurst with the assistance of a very angry CSgt from the Welsh Guards.

Well, I say learnt...maybe 'Temporarily took on board'.

Latest Threads