Sharing NFC tags on Android

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones' started by BrunoNoMedals, Jan 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

I've just got myself a Samsung Galaxy S2. The wife upgraded to the same phone on the same day, and I want to mess around sharing tags between the two phones so I can get the hang of the technology. In principle I should be able to create a tag (with a URL or some contact details in it), make it available for sharing, swipe my wife's phone past it and transmit the data - but it won't work.

This page from Google support shows me a screenshot of the Tags application that doesn't look like the version I have installed. In particular, all the content above the "Manage My Tags" line doesn't appear on mine. This means I have no checkbox marked "Share My Tag".

Any idea what's wrong with it? I can create a tag, but without being able to check said box I won't be able to transmit it. The wife's is exactly the same. We both have NFC turned on in the phone settings.

As an aside, where am I likely to find commercial NFC tags dotted around? Are they particularly common yet? I don't have a Barclaycard so I can't do any NFC payments on a Chip&PIN machine. Where else could I give it a whirl?