Shared Printer HELP

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by MuddyMettle, Apr 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I’m trying to set up my Printer as a shared Printer can any help?.

I have a desktop with Windows VISTA cabled to a BT Home Hub, to this hub I have a laptop (XP) connected Wireless.
    The printer is a Lexmark X3470.

I can see the laptop on my desktop and move files between the PC’s

2. turn on printer sharing in network and sharing centre. go to start -> control panel -> printers. right click on 'lexmark...' ->sharing and share printer over network. (not entirely sure on the XP side as haven't used it for ages. but should be fairly obvious... add printer -> network printer etc. )
  3. Hi,

Cheers tried that no joy?

4. if you go to start->network on the vista pc can you now see the printer?
  5. p.s. printer must be on for the above to work
  6. No,

I have clicked Add a printer and done that bit but no printer shows up in network?
  7. MuddyMettle, open your Windows Explorer on the computer that has the printer and then open Networks. Open the computer what has the printer and ensure that the printer is sharing, if not open it in networks and configure it so. come back to us if and when you have got that far :)

8. You have got the comp that the printer is attached to switched on as well?
  9. I have just found when i add a printer in Network it turns up in the Control panel> printer, folder?
  10. on pc or laptop?
  11. Ok, lets start again, you have a computer with a printer attached. If you open Windows Explorer, Networks, Your Computer, Printers it shoud be there, if not get it there by adding it. If you have more than one instances of the same printer, which can happen, delete all until you have one printer which you should right click and open and got to the sharing tab. Do that and come back here please.

12. in vista you want start -> network -> '*****-PC -> printers. as long as it is there you should be able to add it on the laptop. sort out pc first
  13. We are already there, try and not muddy the water!!

14. As the saying goes "Too many cooks spoil the broth", I will bow out :)

15. i fear not. there is no need to 'add' printers to a vista network, once they are shared they should just be there.