Shaping A Caubeen?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by hellmett, May 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone got this sussed?

How do you get it shaped from a half deflated barrage balloon to something that resembles head dress?

Surely there must be a technique!

Is there a method to shrink and stiffen the bugger without spraying a gallon of starch on it?

Apologies if this has been covered before!

2. Practice with a doss bag first!

3. We tried shaping a large balloon called Caubeen on here last year (ish). Went and f*cking died on us.

4. Join the Army and permit your DS to show you.

5. Amazing the search option on here. :roll:

CLICK ME

6. Bloody thing!

My idea which I cannot fathom has never been done is to have the Royal Irish/UDR green beret with hackle for working dress (like a fusilier).

Caubeen to be kept for "other" duties!

I don't understand why the Royal Irish decided to stop wearing their berets?

I know it's traditional etc. but "feck me", a well shaped Caubeen is RARE, some of the ones I see are frightening!

Thanks for the link!

7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Did he really die? Why is it the inconsiderate targets of the wrath of ARRSE keep keeling over? As for shaping a Caubeen; it's not necessary; simply lay them in a casket and bury as normal.

8. From my understanding, this was the original idea and is what the HS Bts did until their disbandment. It would appear that the GS crowd didn't like being associated with their HS counterparts and/or the old and bold from the Rangers didn't want a new hat.

Whatever the reason, the beret seems to be a thing of the past unfortunately.

9. Basically, warm water, place on head, pull down to right hand side (like a beret) then tuck as much of the material as you dare on the right up into the inside. The more you tuck, the more it looks like a pirate hat =D