Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shamima Begum allowed back to the UK

To blame Blair for this (either Tony or Cheri) is to miss the point, the decision to deprive Begum of her citizenship would never have got past any court of justice, Yooman Rites Law or not.

It was a dreadful mistake arising from a need to be seen to be doing something in response to tabloid outrage and which will now undermine the ability to actually strip citizenship from gobshites who truly deserve it.

Begum was a 15yo girl when she did what she did, and it was disgusting and shameful, but she was a child. I know plenty of blokes who joined organizations that were pretty vile in the 1970s and 1980s and did stuff that was disgusting and shameful and for which they are truly remorseful today (there are quite a few who aren't too, I grant you that) and who now lead lives of quiet ordinariness and who must live with their consciences for the rest of their days.

Stripping her of her citizenship would never have stood legal scrutiny for five minutes and if a government legal adviser suggested to the Home Secretary it would, he should be transferred to the conveyancing department of Kingston upon Hull's parks and cemeteries committee.

I am pretty sure that the Supreme Court is going to come down pretty heavy on this and the government is not going to win, so what will the consequences be? When some really bad piece of goods comes along, who has confirmed dual-citizenship and who actually could be doing with having his UK passport removed, officials will be loathe to do so.

A useful tool that could have been handy if used judiciously and quietly will have been thrown away all in order to play to the tabloid gallery and be seen to be tough on a dosy, air-headed, stupid young woman.

A useful tool that could have been handy if used judiciously and quietly will have been thrown away all in order to play to the tabloid gallery and be seen to be tough on a dosy, air-headed, stupid young woman.
And what of the other folk who have been similarly stripped of citizenship but not named in the papers because they aren't as newsworthy?

This isn't just about Shamima Begum as you quite rightly allude. We have already got a a couple of others, similarly deprived of citizenship, waiting in the wings for their champion to win against the government.

And what of the other folk who have been similarly stripped of citizenship but not named in the papers because they aren't as newsworthy?

This isn't just about Shamima Begum as you quite rightly allude. We have already got a a couple of others, similarly deprived of citizenship, waiting in the wings for their champion to win against the government.
Official figures are not published but its reported that 33 people were stripped between 2010-15 and The Times reports over 150 by 2017 as the Syrian conflict escalated.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Why, she isn't important enough?
Who was it described fighting in sandy parts as using million dollar missiles to destroy five dollar whores (or something)?

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

JCC

War Hero
To blame Blair for this (either Tony or Cheri) is to miss the point, the decision to deprive Begum of her citizenship would never have got past any court of justice, Yooman Rites Law or not.

It was a dreadful mistake arising from a need to be seen to be doing something in response to tabloid outrage and which will now undermine the ability to actually strip citizenship from gobshites who truly deserve it.

Begum was a 15yo girl when she did what she did, and it was disgusting and shameful, but she was a child. I know plenty of blokes who joined organizations that were pretty vile in the 1970s and 1980s and did stuff that was disgusting and shameful and for which they are truly remorseful today (there are quite a few who aren't too, I grant you that) and who now lead lives of quiet ordinariness and who must live with their consciences for the rest of their days.

Stripping her of her citizenship would never have stood legal scrutiny for five minutes and if a government legal adviser suggested to the Home Secretary it would, he should be transferred to the conveyancing department of Kingston upon Hull's parks and cemeteries committee.

I am pretty sure that the Supreme Court is going to come down pretty heavy on this and the government is not going to win, so what will the consequences be? When some really bad piece of goods comes along, who has confirmed dual-citizenship and who actually could be doing with having his UK passport removed, officials will be loathe to do so.

But it does serve a purpose in "pour encourager les autres".

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer

That thing hasn’t got an ounce of remorse. She proved that in her first interview, before there was a hurried redrafting of her attitude to try and better garner more sympathy.

She knew what she was doing then and now. She was happy where she was, as evidenced by repeated approaches to come home, when Isil were ‘winning‘.

She’s about saving her own neck, no more.

so, this ‘child’ who became a diligent ISIS enforcer?

But it does serve a purpose in "pour encourager les autres".
No, honestly I don't think it will, because precisely what will happen is as @Lifeboat21 says, she will become a type of test case that means that les autres will be sitting back waiting for her judgement and then basing their appeals on that. A weapon that had been quietly and without much fanfare sitting on the Home Secretary's desk to be used against the really bad hats will then be rendered ineffective because it was used to stupid effect against a pointless target.

That thing hasn’t got an ounce of remorse. She proved that in her first interview, before there was a hurried redrafting of her attitude to try and better garner more sympathy.

She knew what she was doing then and now. She was happy where she was, as evidenced by repeated approaches to come home, when Isil were ‘winning‘.

She’s about saving her own neck, no more.
I am making no particular judgement on her own character, my own opinion is that she poses little threat to the British state except with regard to the fact that the state's ill-judged decision to strip her of her citizenship will mean that a useful tool in the state's box will now be blunted.

Shamima Begum wasn't worth wasting such a valuable asset on.

Just for the record and so as I am clear, I have no sympathy whatsoever for the stupid woman, she got herself into the mess but by the government's ill-judged actions the British taxpayer will end up on the hook for getting her, and many others like her, out of her predicament.

In a more enlightened time she would have been hung for treason.
Now she will get a Council house, Benefits and a new identity.

Some parts of the Human Rights Act need scrapping or rewriting.

Tool

LE
No, honestly I don't think it will, because precisely what will happen is as @Lifeboat21 says, she will become a type of test case that means that les autres will be sitting back waiting for her judgement and then basing their appeals on that. A weapon that had been quietly and without much fanfare sitting on the Home Secretary's desk to be used against the really bad hats will then be rendered ineffective because it was used to stupid effect against a pointless target.
I disagree with the points above - "stupid effect" was how the law was devised, and subsequently implemented. Pointless target - most definitely not. She was an enforcer of ISIS, and has shown little remorse, even after being told to tone her attitde dwn when speaking to Western media. She is more dangerous than some bloke with an AK in his hands who has recanted.

Now she will get a Council house, Benefits and a new identity.

the HRA has made Blair’s witch of a wife very wealthy

Now she will get a Council house, Benefits and a new identity, and be fast tracked to stand as a Labour Party parliamentary candidate

FTFY

I disagree with the points above - "stupid effect" was how the law was devised, and subsequently implemented. Pointless target - most definitely not. She was an enforcer of ISIS, and has shown little remorse, even after being told to tone her attitde dwn when speaking to Western media. She is more dangerous than some bloke with an AK in his hands who has recanted.
Fair enough, but if it was up to me I would simply have ignored her. I would have released a statement to the effect that "Ms Begum is an adult who chose to leave the United Kingdom of her own will and enter a war zone, we understand she rejected her British allegiance and has since married a Dutch citizen. Ms Begum's current predicament is of no relevance to Her Majesty's government and we are under no obligation to put the lives of British officials at risk in order to proffer her assistance."

Of course somehow she would have eventually got home where she could be rounded up for questioning.

As it stands at the moment, I will put Tattersals to a tin cup the UK is going to be spending quite a sum in the relatively near future getting her flown home at taxpayer's expense, after spending a fortune on an unwinnable court case and having destroyed the chance of using the deprivation of citizenship again in the future.

You can decide for yourself whether that was a battle worth fighting, my personal opinion is that it wasn't.

Latest Threads