Shamima Begum allowed back to the UK

As an adult, she could / can apply via whatever method Bangladesh uses to award Citizenship by Naturalisation. But she cannot be a Citizen by Descent unless her parents applied whilst she was a child.
Umm, yes she can.
As discussed above.
Some nations grant citizenship to all who are born there OR who qualify for it through parentage.
Some just declare 'hey, you live and work here here, you ARE a citizen!'*
Some fall over backwards to accommodate anyone who may qualify for citizenship - think Jack Charlton's Ireland 1990 squad.
Unscrupulous, I know.
But
* - that's the one which got me.

Umm, yes she can.
As discussed above.
Some nations grant citizenship to all who are born there OR who qualify for it through parentage.
Some just declare 'hey, you live and work here here, you ARE a citizen!'*
Some fall over backwards to accommodate anyone who may qualify for citizenship - think Jack Charlton's Ireland 1990 squad.
Unscrupulous, I know.
But
* - that's the one which got me.
Nope. Bangladeshi citizenship by descent has to be registered during childhood.

syrup

LE
If the story's gen.
Be interesting if it is on record.

ISIS bride Shamima Begum has told friends she will never name the Brits who also joined the terror group, it has been reported.

Begum, 22, said this week she was not a threat as she begged to return to the UK.

She also said that she could even help fight terrorism.

However, it is believed Begum has promised to stay silent on other Britons who also fled the UK to join ISIS in Syria, saying it is a "red line".

A source close to her case told The Sun on Sunday : “She’s made it clear she won’t name any British IS fighters she met in Syria.

“Some have survived and the intelligence is so patchy that her evidence would be invaluable. But for her it’s a red line. It won’t help her chances.”

BarcelonaAnalPark

LE
Book Reviewer
It'd be interesting to know what medium she was using to share those thoughts. I assume she'll be binning those comms from this point on. Great work journos.

Nope. Bangladeshi citizenship by descent has to be registered during childhood.
The issue was discussed in the early parts of this thread. Had she applied while under the age of 21, she would have qualified for automatic Bangladeshi citizenship.

HMG was able to revoke her UK citizenship because doing so, at the time, would not render her stateless. She chose not to apply for Bangladeshi citizenship so it was her, not HMG, that made her stateless.

She can still apply but citizenship is no longer automatic and can be refused.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
@ancienturion ,
Happy now you old lonely self absorbed dribble of piss?
Keep 'em coming you stupid old git...... serve to amuse. ;)
You play - I play, though for a sanctimonious person you obviously have quite a nasty foul mouth.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
ISIS bride Shamima Begum has told friends she will never name the Brits who also joined the terror group, it has been reported.

Begum, 22, said this week she was not a threat as she begged to return to the UK.

However, it is believed Begum has promised to stay silent on other Britons who also fled the UK to join ISIS in Syria, saying it is a "red line".

A source close to her case told The Sun on Sunday : “She’s made it clear she won’t name any British IS fighters she met in Syria.

“Some have survived and the intelligence is so patchy that her evidence would be invaluable. But for her it’s a red line. It won’t help her chances.”

See my post, #2792.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
I knew he'd been struck off, but thought he might still be able to act as a consultant or some such. But if he's busy at MaccyDs then fair enough. He probably wouldn't want to get involved in anything questionable anyway. For Brutus is an honourable man.
You walk into his branch of Maccy D's with a veterans badge, he'll take your money and not serve you. Then pay other members of staff to swear that he did serve you a burger, but you didn't eat it, you preferred to stamp on your burger, damaging it beyond all recognition.

And then he'll get the other staff members to sue you for hurting their burger.

He won't be able to help himself. The cnut.

Unless....she is merely ensuring her global optics & quotes lessen as far as possible the instance of her being slotted sometime in the future. Not G'teed...just a bet hedger.
But behind closed doors via secured 3rd parties.....dob on the whole gang.
She's not exactly a spotless crucible of honesty & integrity.

Last edited:
That’s not how citizenship works. She’s was a British Citizen by Birth. Her father is a British Citizen by Naturalisation and therefore any children born in the UK are British Citizens by Birth.

Assuming that Bangladesh allows the children of its dual nationals to become Citizens by Descent, then her parents could have applied for that. If they didn’t, she’s not a Bangladeshi Citizen.

As an adult, she could / can apply via whatever method Bangladesh uses to award Citizenship by Naturalisation. But she cannot be a Citizen by Descent unless her parents applied whilst she was a child.
According to a couple of checks I’ve just run, Bangladesh does not agree to dual citizenship with the exception that the Government issues the person with a certificate permitting them to do so.

Chef

LE
You walk into his branch of Maccy D's with a veterans badge, he'll take your money and not serve you. Then pay other members of staff to swear that he did serve you a burger, but you didn't eat it, you preferred to stamp on your burger, damaging it beyond all recognition.

And then he'll get the other staff members to sue you for hurting their burger.

He won't be able to help himself. The cnut.
As you got some excellents for that it seemed only fair to give you a balancing funny.

That’s not how citizenship works. She’s was a British Citizen by Birth. Her father is a British Citizen by Naturalisation and therefore any children born in the UK are British Citizens by Birth.

Assuming that Bangladesh allows the children of its dual nationals to become Citizens by Descent, then her parents could have applied for that. If they didn’t, she’s not a Bangladeshi Citizen.

Her dad is not a UK citizen but has indefinite remain to leave in the UK & holds a Bangladeshi passport

Mum is a naturalised British Citizen from 19th November 2011

Shamima Begum was born 25th August 1999

Source -

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
The Sun on Sunday said:
A source close to her case told The Sun on Sunday: “She made out she’d help her country if she were given the chance.

“All the talk was about helping deradicalise kids and stop them from following in her footsteps.

“But she’s made it clear she won’t name any British IS fighters she met in Syria.

"A source close to..." is normally journospeak for "we've just made this shit up."

PFGEN

GCM
According to a couple of checks I’ve just run, Bangladesh does not agree to dual citizenship with the exception that the Government issues the person with a certificate permitting them to do so.

I wonder why the bother. You would think they would be happy have new citizens. As far as I can see from the numbers people only ever want to leave Bangladesh.

I wonder why the bother. You would think they would be happy have new citizens. As far as I can see from the numbers people only ever want to leave Bangladesh.

Missionary work, they have deployed world wide to ensure the poor of Scunthorpe or similar are able to buy cigs, booze, sweets & news papers between the hours of 7 & 11

Her dad is not a UK citizen but has indefinite remain to leave in the UK & holds a Bangladeshi passport

Mum is a naturalised British Citizen from 19th November 2011

Shamima Begum was born 25th August 1999

Source -

Makes no difference. A child born in the UK of someone granted Indefinite Leave to Remain is automatically a British Citizen by Birth.

Correct, but it’s common for British Bangladeshis to apply and hold dual nationality. There’s a list of countries with which Bangladesh allows Dual Citizenship. The UK is one.

The issue was discussed in the early parts of this thread. Had she applied while under the age of 21, she would have qualified for automatic Bangladeshi citizenship.

HMG was able to revoke her UK citizenship because doing so, at the time, would not render her stateless. She chose not to apply for Bangladeshi citizenship so it was her, not HMG, that made her stateless.

She can still apply but citizenship is no longer automatic and can be refused.
All fine and dandy except Bangladeshi citizenship is a matter for the Bangladeshi government, not the British Government or the Arrse massive.

Begum was a British citizen by birth. Therefore she could not be a Bangladeshi citizen as a child unless her parents applied to the Bangladeshi government for an exemption to their dual citizenship. As an adult she would have to apply herself. The Bangladeshi government has no obligation to allow dual nationality nor to recognise that Britain has withdrawn her citizenship.

She’s stateless. Her problem not ours. She’ll spend the rest of her life in the Middle East shithole she chose.