Shame of the deserters

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Fireplace, Mar 31, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

"In North Africa, resourceful deserters who had used their wits to survive in the desert were welcomed back into the fold and their skills put to use in a new battle force. It was the SAS and quickly gained a reputation for the toughness and bravery of its members, including former deserters." Can this be true?
  2. Since the article doesn't quote a single example or reference, I'd say not.
  3. Sounds like the plot of Cyril Clunge's next thriller, Just Deserts
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I was just curious. At least the story wasn't published in the Daily Wail.
  5. No matter how sharp one's wits might be, I suspect that surviving in the Nth African desert would be a fairly fraught endeavour at the best of times, let alone during a war, and after one had had said wits scrambled by a dose of battle shock. Stranger things have happened though.
  6. Yes they have, like the Cigarette Smoking Man being killed on the X-Files...
  7. I don't see why it shouldn't be true.

My granddad was a deserter. As an Air Despatcher, he was shot down twice in September 1944. The first time, he rushed to return and was sent straight back up again. On the second occasion, he started to doubt his ability to survive a third shoot-down so he hid. A couple of months later, he went back, explaining how he'd landed on the German side of the lines and had difficulty in getting through the front. In reality, he'd been shacked up with a liberated French bird.
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Of course it's true. The Yanks just pinched the story and made it all about them.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Cheers Phil who is of filth, haven't seen that vid' in awhile. Might drag it out and 'kick back'.

Lee Marvin = real man
    • Like Like x 1
  10. No, it's from the fucking express. May as well be the same rag.
  11. Credit where it's due: the Express has achieved the remarkable feat of being even tackier and grottier than the Mail.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I have to say that from what I've read of the expat edition the Express, it's a brutally bad paper, only leavened occasionally by Frederick Forsyth's column, and even that's hit and miss. I have never actually read an edition of the Mail, as I don't think they do an expat version.
  13. If you imagine the Express only with fewer Diana stories and a slightly more subtle hatred of foreigners, you've pretty much got it.
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Even so, I can't quite see Ralph Fiennes as a freshly shot-down Puttees Snr., squatting under a flyblown rock in Wadi Deathbone, minus Kristin Scott Thomas and surviving on nothing but his own boot studs and camel's piss.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. I surmise that a family relative of his would tell you he has done all of those things.