Shame of the deserters

M

Mark The Convict

No matter how sharp one's wits might be, I suspect that surviving in the Nth African desert would be a fairly fraught endeavour at the best of times, let alone during a war, and after one had had said wits scrambled by a dose of battle shock. Stranger things have happened though.

No matter how sharp one's wits might be, I suspect that surviving in the Nth African desert would be a fairly fraught endeavour at the best of times, let alone during a war, and after one had had said wits scrambled by a dose of battle shock. Stranger things have happened though.
Yes they have, like the Cigarette Smoking Man being killed on the X-Files...

I don't see why it shouldn't be true.

My granddad was a deserter. As an Air Despatcher, he was shot down twice in September 1944. The first time, he rushed to return and was sent straight back up again. On the second occasion, he started to doubt his ability to survive a third shoot-down so he hid. A couple of months later, he went back, explaining how he'd landed on the German side of the lines and had difficulty in getting through the front. In reality, he'd been shacked up with a liberated French bird.

Credit where it's due: the Express has achieved the remarkable feat of being even tackier and grottier than the Mail.
I have to say that from what I've read of the expat edition the Express, it's a brutally bad paper, only leavened occasionally by Frederick Forsyth's column, and even that's hit and miss. I have never actually read an edition of the Mail, as I don't think they do an expat version.

I have to say that from what I've read of the expat edition the Express, it's a brutally bad paper, only leavened occasionally by Frederick Forsyth's column, and even that's hit and miss. I have never actually read an edition of the Mail, as I don't think they do an expat version.
If you imagine the Express only with fewer Diana stories and a slightly more subtle hatred of foreigners, you've pretty much got it.

M

Mark The Convict

Even so, I can't quite see Ralph Fiennes as a freshly shot-down Puttees Snr., squatting under a flyblown rock in Wadi Deathbone, minus Kristin Scott Thomas and surviving on nothing but his own boot studs and camel's piss.

Even so, I can't quite see Ralph Fiennes as a freshly shot-down Puttees Snr., squatting under a flyblown rock in Wadi Deathbone, minus Kristin Scott Thomas and surviving on nothing but his own boot studs and camel's piss.
I surmise that a family relative of his would tell you he has done all of those things.

I once had a neighbour who was a war-time deserter. He told me about it once over a couple of beers. What happened was that when he first joined up, he was issued a comb - then they cut his hair. Later he was issued with tooth brush - then they removed two of his teeth. Soon after he was issued with a jock strap - well that was enough for him, he scarpered pretty quick!

Credit where it's due: the Express has achieved the remarkable feat of being even tackier and grottier than the Mail.
Back in the 1930s Evelyn Waugh had satirically but accurately written [in Scoop] their real titles with the The Daily Mail as the Daily Beast whilst the Express was the Daily Brute.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Cheers Phil who is of filth, haven't seen that vid' in awhile. Might drag it out and 'kick back'.
Lee Marvin = real man
I always get the Dirty Dozen mixed up with Kelly's Heroes. Which is the one where Telly Sevalas is a nonce and which is the one where he is a CQMS? I always get those two mixed up.