Shale gas firm finds 'vast' gas resources in Lancashire

BBC News - Shale gas firm finds 'vast' gas resources in Lancashire

Shale gas firm finds 'vast' gas resources in Lancashire

An energy firm which has been test drilling for controversial "shale gas" in Lancashire has said it has found vast gas resources underground.

Cuadrilla Resources began testing for gas on the Fylde Coast in March, using a technique known as "fracking".

It said it had found 200 trillion cubic feet of gas under the ground, which if recovered could provide 5,600 jobs in the UK, 1,700 of those in Lancashire.
Combined with oil in the Falklands perhaps things won't be too bad after all?

DC

It's ours and we want to keep it so f**** off you nappy wearing, lager drinking southern poofs!

...and to think, I always blamed the smell on the effects of Boddingtons on the sub-human body.

Hmmm-shale drilling is argued as being extremely dangerous. Then we find shit loads of it...

interesting one this, i remember it on the news not long ago. i'm sure i read or seen that as the septics had to stop drilling they were looking into the fylde coast drilling.
will be a shame to destroy such a beautiful part of the world though.
who knows if the yanks dont get there own way we might have an invasion !!!

The thing with Shale gas is we are far from alone in having vast reserves, hence I don't think there is as much money in it as could otherwise be expected.

Still 200 trillion cubic feet is quite a find, and hopefully it will go some way to bringing this country a decent new income (If we choose to properly exploit it)

i stand by what i said-the yanks are gonna be in the back ground with a beady eye.
how do you properly exploit it without possibly causing earth movements?
mind you blackpool would look better levelled !!!

Good news- Lots of gas.
Bad news- The industry in the US has a really bad reputation at the moment- Lots of shoddy, cocked up wells that let methane leak up into the local water supplies-and lots of questions over exactly what chemical cocktails are being pumped into the water table to force the gas out.
And there were a couple of 'coincidental' earthquakes near the Lancashire test site.

did they use the same chemicals on the fylde coast? could be a pattern
Who knows? the chemical mixes are all 'industrial' secret. The Yanks have been having a hell of a job gettting their oil companies to admit to what they use.
The attached list is the stuff the American EPA have found-
EARTHWORKS - EPA's List of Fracking Fluids
although apparently a Halliburton suit drank some at a meeting to 'prove' it was safe...

That'll be Lancashire opting for independence then.

The Republic of Lancastria perhaps?...

US & Uk ..... Worlds apart when it comes to Frac jobs ! .... The press once again seem to think it's a new technology .... Utter tosh it's been around for years and in most cases is 99% water with a man made sand called Proppant , each job has different characteristics hence the need for additives .
I wouldn't let it bother you just get one of the jobs that'll be on offer !

"Combined with oil in the Falklands perhaps things won't be too bad after all?"

EE bye Gum an optimist on Arrse.

"That'll be Lancashire opting for independence then.

The Republic of Lancastria perhaps?..."

With Kate and the Sons of Kingo's to defend.

john

Who knows? the chemical mixes are all 'industrial' secret. The Yanks have been having a hell of a job gettting their oil companies to admit to what they use.
The attached list is the stuff the American EPA have found-
EARTHWORKS - EPA's List of Fracking Fluids
although apparently a Halliburton suit drank some at a meeting to 'prove' it was safe...
cheers for the info fella, thats some scary stuff. i wonder if the suit sees weird things and glows in the dark now !!!

EE Bye Gum
The Slag Heaps of Lancashire have been famous for yonks.

john
Used to have an entry in the Guinness Book for largest area of 'Spoiled land' in UK.

So what, the politicians will sell it off to a foreign company to exploit for some free holidays.

EE Bye Gum
The Slag Heaps of Lancashire have been famous for yonks.

john
Used to have an entry in the Guinness Book for largest area of 'Spoiled land' in UK.
you got that right fella, lancs slags aint shy much i always thought most are ugly pigs compared to out of lancashire. could be just me growing up bumming whippets with wigs

Essentially, however, the whole anti-fracking movement has its head where the sun doesn’t shine – and here are just ten reasons why.
  1. Hydraulic fracking has been around for 60 years. Developments made by U.S. engineers around 2008-9 have simply made the process much more commercially viable.
  2. Since fracking was introduced in 1949, over 2 million frack treatments have been pumped without a single documented case of treatments polluting a water aquifer.
  3. 90 percent of all gas wells drilled in the United States since 1949 have been fracked.
  4. The depth of most shale gas deposits drilled is between 6,000 and 10,000 feet – water aquifers exist at an average depth of 500 feet.
  5. Claims of ‘migration’ between the shale gas layers and water aquifers due to fracking or for any other reason, are patently absurd as the gas would have to pass through millions of tons of impermeable rock. If the rock was that porous, neither the water nor the gas would have been there in the first place. (As the hard data in fig. 1 from a study of 15,000 frac treatments in the Barnett Shale Field reveals plainly.)
  6. Fracture design engineers go to great lengths to avoid fracture growth of even 100 feet to prevent losing production.
  7. The new eco-horror genre flicks like Josh Fox’s Gasland, create impact by making outrageous claims which include suggesting “569 chemicals” are used in a single “toxic cocktail” frack treatment. The reality is that 99.5 percent of the treatment is water and sand. Much of the remainder is made up of a maximum of 12 or so harmless gelling agents, like Guar gum (used in ice cream making), and chemicals commonly used around the house.
  8. Domestic running water faucets being set alight with a match might wow gullible film audiences, but dissolved methane found in well water may well be biogenic (naturally occurring). As the largest component in natural gas, methane is not even regulated as it is not toxic and escapes naturally like soda bubbles.
  9. Hydraulic fracking procedures are heavily regulated and not, as often claimed by eco-activists, exempt from drinking water and other key regulatory laws.
  10. Concerns about using “excessive water resources” in the process are already being assuaged by new developments, including recycling water. And the U.S. Ground Water Protection Council confirms that drilling with compressed air is becoming increasingly common.
Energy Tribune- Ten Fracking Things Everyone Should Know