Shaky Phone Videos?

Not any more:

Got it here at pretty much half price:

Not as rugged as a GoPro but the gimbal mount all but eliminates camera shake. Will report back in a couple of days.

And yes, thanks for pointing out it's not a phone.

That's smart.

I get paid by a few different running event business to photograph their races and I thought I'd like to add some video to the images too, so I bought a gimbal for my mobile phone, but it was fiddly and I haven't really used it.

That looks like an improvement; also like the 60 fps.

That's smart.

I get paid by a few different running event business to photograph their races and I thought I'd like to add some video to the images too, so I bought a gimbal for my mobile phone, but it was fiddly and I haven't really used it.

That looks like an improvement; also like the 60 fps.

At the price, it's worth a punt, IMO. I got Mrs dm (a confirmed technophobe) using it after a couple of trial runs, it's that easy. There are a few extra bells and whistles available when you pair it to your mobile phone such as the camera pointing wherever you point your phone (the tripod socket on the base comes in handy there).

Picture quality is about the same as a mid-range mobile phone and it records happily in 1080p. The 4K claim might be taken with a pinch of salt IMO, even though it produces a picture I don't have anything to view it in 4K.

I've got a clip to attach it to a shoulder strap of a rucksack for full hands-free use.

Curiously it also works as a webcam.

The sound can only be described as adequate so I might get a Zoom H1n to record sound where needed.

The GoPro I use has built in stabilization.
But it’s not a gimbal surely? GoPro do a gimbal but it’s mighty expensive.

I use a SMOVE; a bit of a fiddle to learn but pairs well with an iPhone X.

Quite like the look of the OPs post though; very compact and zero faff.

In camera stabilisation is effectively just cropping.
The camera records video images as large as possible, then crops each frame attempting to move the crop against camera shake.
That can be done ‘seamlessly’ in camera or afterwards with video software

A gimbal ‘stabilises’ the camera by allowing separate pivots which combined with a gyro smooth out movement.

If you want the camera to be still use a tripod, if you want to lose the jerkiness in movement then decide if in camera or software stabilisation are enough or a gimbal would benefit vs it’s cost.

There can be times where a gimbal will just not want to do what you want it to do - resulting in smooth video of no particular interest.
Configuring and practice are required

But it’s not a gimbal surely? GoPro do a gimbal but it’s mighty expensive.

I use a SMOVE; a bit of a fiddle to learn but pairs well with an iPhone X.

Quite like the look of the OPs post though; very compact and zero faff.

The Hero 8 is not a gimbal, it's stabilized 'in camera' as @tommikka states, however the pictures appear to be as steady as the go-pro gimbal (which I wasted some money on a couple of years ago). For in-car shots the Hero 8 is ideal. It pans in-camera too which is handy when the car is turning and can be easily mounted on the windscreen.

In camera stabilisation is effectively just cropping.
The camera records video images as large as possible, then crops each frame attempting to move the crop against camera shake.
That can be done ‘seamlessly’ in camera or afterwards with video software

A gimbal ‘stabilises’ the camera by allowing separate pivots which combined with a gyro smooth out movement.

If you want the camera to be still use a tripod, if you want to lose the jerkiness in movement then decide if in camera or software stabilisation are enough or a gimbal would benefit vs it’s cost.

There can be times where a gimbal will just not want to do what you want it to do - resulting in smooth video of no particular interest.
Configuring and practice are required

I've had a few gimbals over the years and they have all been as good as the operator. My current DJI Ronin SC supports the payload I use and is not too heavy and unwieldy, which can be an issue if filming for prolonged periods. They can be woefully over used as they are a lazy way of getting GVs. For POV or a moving PTC (piece to camera) they can work nicely but I've seen telly recently where I'm left craving a static shot.

An iphone on a stick gives some good results too however the issue, as with the GoPro, the Osmo or the OP's gizmo is that they don't give me enough control over the camera functions. I need to be control of the iris to get decent depth of field etc.

The Feiyu Pocket is, if anything, aimed at the casual user. No DoF, no f-stops, no ISO, none of that train-spotter stuff. (OK it does record LOG).

It's far from rugged or waterproof - if you drop it, good luck.

I'm aware that everything on the market is better, bigger, faster and stronger.

I'm also aware that everything on the market starts at double the price.

The Feiyu Pocket is, if anything, aimed at the casual user. No DoF, no f-stops, no ISO, none of that train-spotter stuff. (OK it does record LOG).

It's far from rugged or waterproof - if you drop it, good luck.

I'm aware that everything on the market is better, bigger, faster and stronger.

I'm also aware that everything on the market starts at double the price.

I'm not knocking it - In my game 'simple but effective' is ideal for a second camera operated by the producer ( who will inevitably over shoot, wear down the battery and lose the lens cap).

If you mean shooting LOG as in a logarithmic profile, then that's impressive. It's a Sony CMOS too, which can't hurt.

I'm not knocking it - In my game 'simple but effective' is ideal for a second camera operated by the producer ( who will inevitably over shoot, wear down the battery and lose the lens cap).

If you mean shooting LOG as in a logarithmic profile, then that's impressive. It's a Sony CMOS too, which can't hurt.

Yep, that LOG. Get a .cube file from their website, and add it to DaVinci Resolve. (Free version, obvs).

Yep, that LOG. Get a .cube file from their website, and add it to DaVinci Resolve. (Free version, obvs).

Impressive indeed.

Can you add the LUT to the camera to see what it will look like? I couldn't see anything on their page about this.

If I'm recording SLOG I'll often just shoot without a LUT as I'm pretty confident I know what I'm getting. In any case, I suppose as long as it's exposed roughly correctly you can grade the bejabbers out of it via FCP or DV.

Impressive indeed.

Can you add the LUT to the camera to see what it will look like? I couldn't see anything on their page about this.

If I'm recording SLOG I'll often just shoot without a LUT as I'm pretty confident I know what I'm getting. In any case, I suppose as long as it's exposed roughly correctly you can grade the bejabbers out of it via FCP or DV.

I don't think so. You can't even switch to LOG in camera, you have to use the phone app - which is actually halfway decent - to make adjustments such as white balance etc.

This document knows more than I do: https://cdn1.feiyu-tech.com/dl/manual/Feiyu_pocket_Manual_en.pdf

Latest Threads