Shaky Hands

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Jubbles, Dec 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'd like to know how shaky hands might affect my ability to join the army

they continously shake more than normal peoples do and not because of parkinsons, I have seen the doctor about it and he has stated that there is nothing he can do other than give me beta blockers which would essentially render me unable to do sport or exercise

my shakes get worse when i am angry, scared etc sometimes they get so bad such as after an adrenaline rush that i cannot even write my signature
    or any words.

I can shoot very well, physically i am in tip top condition, will my hands affect my joining of the forces? in particular the infrantry.

2. So dont worry. Humans are made to a fairly wide margin plan and we all have some small differences. Just explain to the doc who does your medical - and take a letter from your doctor, which will help. I managed to get through 22 years of army service suffering from serious seasonal asthma and hay fever.

3. Have you had your thyroid function checked?

4. Sounds bad, have you had a consultant take a look????
    Had a mate in my troop called "twitch" his head constantly twitched left and right, iam serious, but give him a rifle and it stopped ? he competed at bisley, must have passed the medicals so who knows?

Mind you it is a "hands on " job..........

5. check your pm's Jubbles!

6. Hey,no problem.Did 9 years with what I think was called benign nervous tremour-still shake like a leaf when angry,knackered etc.Yuppie flu made it constant,but I still spill less beer than some of the total pisheads that were in the mob with me.'Herbal' tobacco helped me,but be very careful. :D :slow:

7. Junkie! Heh Heh Heh!

8. Do you drink? Have a couple of weeks on the wagon to see if things improve.

9. Vitamin B12 deficiency can do it as well, Have you had a blood analysis done?

(And it is not quite so easy as taking a load of tablets, some people lose the ability to metabolise B12 from food and it takes injections to sort it.)

Gadge

10. yeah I drink, nothing rediculous though

ok im glad that its not such a problem. Thyroid gland, hmm il google it, havent had it checked

11. That's false. I've been on beta-blockers (propranolol) in the past for similar symptoms taking between 10mg to 40mg whenever I felt like I needed them. That's the level for treating any type of anxiety and at that dosage there's not a chance it would have an effect on even the most strenuous exercise. Maybe at the higher dosage where it's prescribed for high blood pressure but definitely not for what you need it for. I understand it lowers the heart rate so theoretically it could be of benefit, ie when jogging.

Problem is I'm not sure whether your allowed to be on medication when going through training. Also, if it's classed as an ongoing psychological condition you have I wouldn't know what problems that might cause you when taking the army medical.

I'd go back and ask your doctor about propranolol, it worked wonders for me and I was very fit when on it if I do say so myself.

12. I eat plenty of meat so I doubt its a B12 defficiency however I shall have that checked

13. Essential tremor.

Does it get better with a couple of pints?

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Tremor-(essential)/Pages/Introduction.aspx

14. yeah it is probably essential tremor but then given some of the side effects for one of the treatements is

Possible adverse effects are:

* infection,
    * speech problems,
    * bleeding in the brain,
    * fluid in the brain,
    * stroke,
    * depression, and
    * death.

think il give that one a miss

15. It used to be you could be prescribed ethanol (ie top vodka) on the NHS for essential tremor, but they stopped that.

Cracking reason for having alcohol on your breath, though. "Actually, for me it is f*cking medicinal".