Shaibah Log Base 2005 - top tips ?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Goatman, Feb 18, 2005.

?
  1. A garden of earthly delights -jammy burger

17.9%
  2. Best tour in theatre

7.1%
  3. Too far from anywhere

7.1%
  4. SLB? what a Sh1t hole !

57.1%
  5. I'd rather spend 6 months in Freetown.

10.7%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Friend of mine due to spend the next 6 months there. I've reviewed previous posts for stuff but I'd be grateful for any top tips from people who have deployed there recently, 'cos a lot has changed in the last year.

( is the junkyard still a problem ? Still in Corrimecs?)

If not happy to post here for OPSEC reasons then plse PM me.

VMT's all.

Goatman

2. Shaibah or 'SHAI-BEEFA' = Slipper city.

3. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

It was $hit tip when I was there, can't see it changing much apart from the daily tempreture as the year progresses! Too damn hot! It was hot in 1916 and 1930 and it still is in 2005!

4. SLB, CORIMECS FOR NON-DEPLOYIONG UNITS ONLY, SO IF YOUR A PROVO OR COMMAND STAFF YOU GET A ROOF OVER YOUR HEAD, ALL OTHERS GET TO LIVE IN LOVELY 12 X 24 OR 18 X 24 TENTS. LAUNDRY SERVICE ON A 24-48 HOUR TURNAROUND ON ALL SITES INSIDE SLB, EFI AND ECHOS ARE BOTH 'DRY', BUT USUAL RULES APPLY, IF YOU KNOW WHERE TO GO , YOU CAN GET ALMOST ANYTHING AT A PRICE.
    BRING SPORTS KIT,DVD PLAYER,TV, COS IT AINT CHEAP TO GET 'EM HERE, ONLY THING THAT IS IS DVD FILMS

5. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Far too cryptic for a simp like me - say again your last ?

WTF is slipper city ?

Lee Shaver

6. alsodepends on which unit you are going with, each of the different camps within SLB all have different rules.
    Also, TA, dont keep going on about 'when I was here before', the regs will also have been there before and more places as well.
    I had the (mis)fortune of deploying with a TA unit last year and it rapidly became known as the 'when I was here before bore tour', every sentence started with 'when i was here before', 'last time i was here' or 'last year'.
    forget what happened the last time you were there, cos things will inevitably have changed as things do. New broom and all that.
    but enjoy your tour.

7. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Well, when I was there the first time, last year, again, it was still $hit! :lol:

Oh and its hot! Hydrate or die!

8. Slipper City is a term to describe a 'Cushty' area, ie as nothing happens your always in your slippers,

And SLB is Slipper City compared to other AOR's in IRAQ.

9. Ooo - do tell us more, regular boy, and do let us all know what and what not to say, won't you? While you're at it, extend it to your colleagues as well - I think you'll find 'first time on tour' isn't confined to the TA, as you well know. We had the good fortune to work with mostly TA (and some 'good' regs) last year but ,sadly, the misfortune to work for regulars not of our Arm who shared your prejudice. You haven't found me talking about it until your crass post though.

10. msr

msr LE

FF,

I think that you had the good fortune of deploying with the TA, otherwise you would have been stuck with some boring 'when we...' regulars.

msr

11. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Touched a nerve, Foxy!

12. yep, quite an exposed one by the looks of it!! :lol: :lol:

13. so when asking for top tips for a deployment, what not to say isnt a tip in your books. thats some TA chip youve got on your shoulders. :roll:

14. Backpedal all you like Foxyboy, but I don't think

and
    were meant in any other way than the obvious. i.e. "when I was away last year I reverted to ARAB stereotype".

15. sorry, just read through my post again and i didnt say 'when I' once.