Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Tosh0479, Oct 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I left the Army in Jul 08 and conciously made the decision not to commute my pension until my wife an I found employment and we had settled down.

I was fully aware that I had a year from the date of leaving to make this decision which once mad was irreversible. How Wrong Was I!!!!

Phoned APC today to commute my pension as I have just paid a big deposit on some house renovations to be told that I could no longer commute as the rules had changed last week.

As far as I am aware on AFPS 75 you can still commute but you have to do it before leaving. Just thought I would let you know in case anyone else is in a similar position. I think my MP may be about to get involved as I find it shocking that you can give 25 years of your life and they can make changes like these without warning!!! :x
  2. Surely since you were under the old rules when you left they should still apply to you, and the new rules apply only to those leaving after the rule change became effective?
  3. It seems that commutation is a privelege and not a right so I think they are going to use this to enforce the new rules
  4. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Bugger, so it's best to commute upon leaving and place the dosh under the mattress until needed?

Hope you can get it sorted Tosh.
  5. This is news to me, I suggest you call the helpline again and ask to speak to someone who knows what they are talking about!! you can commute the part of your pension earned before 6 Apr 06 up to 12 months after leaving the forces:

Resettlement Commutation – Rights to commutation in respect of pension earned before 6 April 2006 are unchanged – you need to apply no later than 12 months after leaving service and can commute up to a maximum of 50% of your pension entitlement (this excludes the Terminal Grant) for service prior to 6 April 2006. However, for pension in respect of service after that date the maximum pension that can be commuted has been reduced. The total lump sum realised cannot be more than 25%, inclusive of the proportion of Terminal Grant accrued after 6 April 2006. In addition the decision to commute must be made before the pension comes into payment. Therefore, to maximise the amount of resettlement commutation you can receive you need to apply before leaving the Armed Forces otherwise only service before 6 April 2006 can be commuted. However you are only allowed one application.

6. Go kick some ass mate - told on all of my resettlement briefs that you had 12 months. Do you still have comms to yr resettlement officer?
  7. Maybe this is the bit they sgafted tosh on
  8. Does the Pension Calculator take all this malarky into account now?
  9. Commute only if you desperatley need the cash otherwise take the higher monthly pension. The tax issue is a dangling carrot. Since you have plans for the additional cash then as already stated, I'm sure a chat with your solicitor should wrap things up because you signed up to something that has changed to no fault of your own. Good luck.
  10. The highlighted bit only applies to the part earned after 6 Apr 2006

11. Hahahahahahahaha, sorry. I think the calculator is getting sorted out early 2015 if that's any help.
  12. And will be available on JPA by 1 April 2030
  13. You might have missed a 'ha' off of that mate!

I should know really i guess. 2015 you say, ill be 6ft under by then!
  14. Tosh,

PM sent.

15. Having done a bit of digging it would seem that this is now the way it is, any requests for commutation must be made prior to leaving the service. I still need to dig a bit further - surely this rule change should only effect those leaving after the change it cannot realistically be back dated!!!

Wait out.