Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by merriman, Apr 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of advice really, I've made the decision to join the regulars (I'm currently in the TA) and I've decided to go for the Royal Engineers.

I've got my heart set on Surveyor or Design Draftsman, however the recruiter said that I will be shadowing as I don't have a C grade science GCSE but got a double D. I've checked the army jobs website but it states that the only qualification you need are 3 GCSEs in Maths, English and one other. I've got 7 GCSEs at a grade C or higher and 4 A-levels, I got 71 on the BARB test and level 2 on the numeracy and literacy tests. My 1.5 mile run time is around 9.20

If I go for these trades will I be at a disadvantage because I'm shadowing? Or will I stand the same chance as anyone else?
  2. The term is SHADING, which as your Recruiter says you will need at least C grades in English and Maths and a third in either Science, IT,Physics or Design and Technology. As YOUR Careers advisor RIGHTFULLY told you they will put a SHADING request into RE SPSO with all your other Qualifications plus your basic Skills and BARB results and then they will assess this. From what information you have given you stand a good chance of getting a shading but listen to what your being told by the experts in the ACIO. A shading will have no affect on your other application requirements it only allows you to go for the job preference you hadnt originally tried for without the required MAQs if it is accepted by the RE SPSO.
  3. Ok The_IRON, play nice, there was no reason to use capitals mid sentence. It will be flagged by the literacy brigade who seem to roam the board. I was only looking for a second opinion and see whether it would affect me after Phase 1.
  4. He's a recruiter himself, and gave you the answer you wanted. Also, don't be picky over how he structured or rather, phrased his reply, your joining the army, you can expect your fair share of "rough words".
  5. I'm sure he's aware of that with his previous experience.
  6. Fine show of handbags there.