Shackleton's Lifeboat Journey is Recreated

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Tremaine, Mar 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Shackleton's Antarctic Adventure

Another Shackleton sets sail on adventure to recreate Sir Ernest's legendary mission | This is Dorset

A team are preparing to recreate Sir Ernest Shackleton's 1916, 800 mile, Lifeboat voyage (after losing his ship; "Endurance"). "Almost 100 years ago polar explorer Sir Ernest Shackleton set out to try and cross the Antarctic and failed. His expedition is seen as one of history's greatest stories of survival and leadership. When his ship sank Shackleton and five others travelled 800 miles in a small lifeboat to find help. Now a team are preparing to recreate the journey in an exact replica of the lifeboat. Robert Hall reports from Dulwich College in south London, where the original still survives". BBC.

Reckon this squeezes in under military history. and if am not mistaken it's about the "Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition", started early in 1914.

Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

Of interest here as I've just got the book by Alfred Lansing referring to the Ship. And enjoyed both the movie with Kenneth Branagh, and the audio book "South" written by the man himself. (Sir Ernest) Shackleton decided to risk an open-boat journey in 1916 (sixteen days ) to the 800 mile distant South Georgia whaling stations, where he knew help was available. All members of the Endurance mission were eventually rescued with no fatalities.

South: the story of Shackleton's 1914-1917 expedition by Shackleton - Project Gutenberg
  2. As a kid I was fortunate to meet and have an interesting talk with Charles Green who was a member of Shackleton's crew. Charles John Green | Endurance Obituaries

He used to travel around the schools giving lectures and showing pictures of the expedition using an old 'Magic Lantern' projector & glass slides.
  3. My childhood heroes along with Eric Shipton. I really don't think we make em like that anymore.
  4. I shall follow with interest and wonder if the recreation will be sans radio , maps and GPS ?

I have always admired Shackleton and hold him in the highest esteem . He really was a superb leader under the most arduous of conditions .

I have written a few posts about him on this site . I have several books about Shackleton and his expeditions including a copy of " Endurance " which is written warts and all as taken from the crew records .
  5. There will no doubt be rescue vessels on standby, satellite communications and a myriad of other get out clauses involved. When the going gets tough, as I'm sure it will, the crew can bail out to safety. Unlike Shackleton and his lads.

The modern day copy cats will undoubtedly be clothed in 21st century survival gear and won't be rowing a leaky old wooden clinker modded with oil and seals blood. Unlike Shackleton and his lads.

I doubt whether the re-enactors will be spending 20 months on ships rations, prior to the event, nor will they have to go through the mental anguish of abandoning the mothership.

I idly wonder whether there will be an insubordinate carpenter on board. Such was the leadership quality of Shackleton, he chose a man for his skill and ignored his loathing of the individual. Outstanding behaviour.

This latest 'adventure' is pointless. What Shackleton and his crew accomplished in the Southern Ocean in 1916, was nothing short of epic, and can never be replicated.
    • Like Like x 6
  6. When I met Charles Green for the first time in the early 60's he came across as a quiet unassuming man and both in his lectures and conversations afterwards he related his experiences in such a way to make it sound more like a jolly japer from a 'Boys Own' manual. He wasn't a braggard or anything like that when giving a definitive account of his experiences.

Unfortunately the material he had has never been published & was bought by a private collector, so whether it will ever surface again is anyones guess.
  7. Jings, that's a bit harsh. As I understand it, the boat is an exact replica - granted it probably won't be leaky and have been hauled over miles of unforgiving ice. The crew will be dressed in authentic period kit and live on pemmican. OK they won't have been on it for months previously. I thought it was a pretty fine effort. I sort of get your point about pointlessness but was just thinking about seeing if there was any charity angle - checked ARRSE first and saw this thread. Would you dob in some dosh if there was a worthy cause? I would/will.
  8. I may have been a tad harsh, but it will not be the same.

If the crew really are going to carry out this trip, with original spec equipment, I reckon they'll fail. I have no doubt that all involved are skilled, fit, probably brave and have honourable intentions, but they are cast from different stock.

I stand by my words regarding the safety net aspect. Psychologically that's got to be damaging to the commitment. "Ooh, I'm a bit wet sir."... "Chin up lad, there's a hot brew on its way over."
  9. I read about it on DII which I'm guessing isn't that available in Cork! One's a RM ML, one's a matelot PO (nav?) and there's a civvy fella from NZ. It was also on the UK news last night. Pemmican rationed to same quantity. I got the impression that there was no SATNAV and the only "modern" equipment was an emergency batphone of some sort. Granted, you have to wonder how far away backup will be - I'm not a sailor but having read as much as I can about the original tale, the seas will be monstrous. Tip over and they're in the shit - no matter how close a safety boat is. They also plan to traverse S Georgia in replica boots - that must've been the booty's idea!

You could NEVER recreate the original- just jaw droppingly incredible. I reckon it's a story all young people should be made to read - if they have time after learning relationships through dance and other useful stuff that seems to be how we do it nowadays.
  10. Are you sure this isnt a thinly disguised plot to increase the military build up in the area around Los Mulvinos (or whatever them Argies call it)?
    If it isnt, then it must be calculated to draw away world focus on the exploitation of mineral resources by feelthy Blitish Imperialist pligs in Los Mulvinos (or whatever them Argies call it).
    Bound to be a conspiracy anyway........
  11. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

It is an exact replica, it was built at the IBTC where I'm studying traditional boat building atm. Have had several oppurtunities to scramble all over her before she was delivered, slightly larger than you might think, but the thought of making that journey in a boat of her type in those oceans is terrifying to say the least. I undedrstand that someoneelse tried to do it a while back, but gave up calling it impossible.

Shackleton's trip was one of the great feats in maritime history, up there with Captain Bligh's monumental journey home following the mutiny on HMS Bounty.
  12. My Bold ....hopefully with crampons made from nails taken from the boat .

I am not decrying their efforts and I do wish them luck , for they will need it , but the further they come away from Shackleton's party's privation , kit and dangers the more their efforts are at risk of being demeaned when it comes to a detailed comparison .
  13. Good luck to them. Whatever equation anybody comes up with between the original heroic happening and this modern replication, it's going to be very hard going and will push them right to their limits. I hope they are successful and I wish them every bit of luck they can get to achieve their journey.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

15. McNiesh may have been insubordinate, but he was also correct in predicting that the expedition was going to end in disaster. After pulling shackles' arrse out of the fire by modding the lifeboats, he was rewarded by shackleton ensuring that his reputatuon was comprehensively trashed on the expeditions return. Hardly the actions of a great leader.