Shackleton to fly again??

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by maguire, Mar 10, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

BBC News - £5m Shackleton plane appeal launched in Coventry

'A £5m appeal has been launched to get a Shackleton aircraft back in the skies...It is hoped mechanics will have the plane taxiing in two months and flying within seven years.'

cant help thinking with the struggles the Vulcan lot have had to keep afloat this lot stand no chance... :(

2. I don't know, they didn't bin them off till the 90's did they ?

I remember crawling all over a Shackleton when I was a space cadet at Lossiemouth, it was like a time capsule.

3. LOL - It could be both a museum piece of '40's engineering (rather cheaper to fly than a Vulcan) AND the nearest thing we own to a maritime reconnaissance capability, at one and the same time.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Been in that Shack when all four engines were a roarin! What a sound,smell, feeling. 10,000 rivets trying to shake loose at the same time.
    IIRC they were re-spared in the late 70's so that should not be a problem. The plumbing and the engines will be though.
    Still it's an Avro. Anyone who can read and has a hammer should be able to fettle it.

• Like Like x 4
  5. I think there is one in Saarf Efrikar that is flyable - but they dont have any trained bods to drive the thing!

Still be good to see!!

6. The Saffer one has only a couple of hours left on the main spar. They do engine runs now and then and it gets wheeled out for airshows at its base.

7. Spose they could swap (rob) bits off it?

8. I was at USAFE Ramstein in 81/82 doing Ample Gain training on the F-4E. A Shack and a Pembroke pitched up, the spams thought they were part of the BBMF and wouldn't believe that they were still serving aircraft. 10,000 rivets flying in close formation indeed.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Got shouted at as an air cadet for asking if they were part of the memorial flight oops.
    Surely they couldnt have been of any value in the 80s?

10. When an AEW platform the radar had been robbed off RN Gannets that had been robbed off RN Sky raiders that had been cast off from the USN.

Radar was circa 1944 design. Trying to control an intercept with that radar on that aircraft using the MK1 brain must have been...Interesting

11. Never ever, if offered following the taking of drink, volunteer to take the part of engine No3. :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Nice press the button and watch it move display in the aviation hall of Manchester museum of science and technology.
    shack.jpg

13. Sucker :)

14. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

any kind of aew would have been a nice to have down south in 1982 I would have thought though.