shackleton brks ballykelly gate guardian

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by wing_mong, Dec 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. rumour has it that there was an armoured car sent to shackleton barracks ballykelly to he used as a gate guardian.
    But it never made it to the gate it was used for riot training and was shifted some where on the airfield can anyone help me find it.
    shackleton barracks is due to be closed next year and it would be a shame to see the car go as scrap for the local contractors to make a few quid.
  2. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

I remember a Shorland outside 5 R IRISH on the airfield, but that was 10 years ago.
  3. You got a big job planned ?
  4. I m part of a small group who are trying to educate the kids of n i about the military history of the provenice from both wars and recent years as its part of their education over here
  5. I was there 89-90, and a regular visitor in 91, 94-96. I remember the Shorland but know nothing of anything else.

Due to close? It's (was) one of the best bases in the Province!!!

Handy for train- and plane-spotters and where else will Ryannair divert to?
  6. Why don't you PM Tangozeroalpha.There were a lot of vehicles from the Troubles in Ballymena. He may be able to help you.

I was at BK for several years and I know that there were no vehicles from earlier eras left there in 2004, as I was there for a while.
  7. hi , for many years i was chief pilot of the parachute centre at BK, the vehicle in question i think was a much modified land rover,it was mounted on a sloping plinth on the west side of the control tower, it was moved into the civilian mt unit located in the large hanger,it was parked there for some time round about 1993, later on i was responsible for obtaining a fin and rudder of a mk3 shackleton which is now mounted on the control tower wall. BK was a happy camp, it saddens me to see so much history being thrown away, anyway i still have the good times to remember tommy-b
  8. The fin and rudder are still their but now the school is closed I don t what will happen to it!
    I m trying to find out what the plans are for it because it would be a great shame to see it sent for scrap.
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Lisanelly had a Saladin in 88 and something else but i cant really recall what else!
  10. :lol:

I was the Armourer in shackleton bks a year ago and i dont remember seeing any older vechicals but i do know where the tail fin from the aircraft is!! it was taken to the services club in Limavady! i was lucky to work in BK as im from limavady its self was a sad time moving from there... come on GOV reopen Shackleton bks!!!
  11. I remember Shackleton in the early 1980s but don't recall a gate guardian.
  12. I was there for 2 years in 99 - 01 and I don't remember any parachute school - when did it close? And HTF did you prevent anyone under 18 stone landing in the ROI with all the wind howling across the airfield?
  13. Ah Bellykelly, night in the Nick in 69, crab full screw didn't know what to do with me , kept coming offering cups of tea!
    Spent my last two years there as a S/sgt.
    Saw Shacklebommers by the dozen take off on long range patrols back in 69/70, but and please believe me one single AAC Beaver made more noise from its single Pratt & Whitney on take off then 4 RR Griffons ever did.