Sgt. Wally Harris MM, REME ... A new film.

Hello All,
There's a new film about Sgt. Wally Harris' exploits that won him the MM in France in '44 up on youtube.

Called :- Above and Beyond: The Craftsman

Interesting watch for serving and ex Reems

Interesting watch for anyone, shows just how you can walk into trouble no matter your branch of service.

Very good indeed. Must take some brass balls to take on that lot with a dismounted Browning and a rifle.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Excellent item but please refrain from using the word "won" when a person is awarded a medal. Winning a medal happens in sport, being awarded a medal is something special.
8/10 - Good article

We in REME are notorious for unsung heroes, Wally is a REME soldier we can be very proud of, when you see corps like the RLC getting mentioned in dispatches, MBE's and awarded gongs for basically doing their jobs, meanwhile REME officers for whatever reason fail to sing the praises of their soldiers, or do not push for higher recognition. Compare RLC awards to REME each year and you will see a huge difference (it's not because RLC soldiers are any braver or better at what they do, it's the reporting procedure, too many REME officers either cannot be bothered or fail to recognise their soldiers achievements)

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
We in REME are notorious for unsung heroes, Wally is a REME soldier we can be very proud of, when you see corps like the RLC getting mentioned in dispatches, MBE's and awarded gongs for basically doing their jobs, meanwhile REME officers for whatever reason fail to sing the praises of their soldiers, or do not push for higher recognition. Compare RLC awards to REME each year and you will see a huge difference (it's not because RLC soldiers are any braver or better at what they do, it's the reporting procedure, too many REME officers either cannot be bothered or fail to recognise their soldiers achievements)
Got a chip ?

Nope, never did anything to warrant an award, but I saw or heard of plenty of guys who did, I also have experience incompetent REME officers a plenty.
You may not have been awarded a chip, but you have one nevertheless:wink:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Never any REME Officers around to see anything in my experience, it is a SNCO-run Corps if ever there was one (re-ignites Tiffy vs Artisan debate).

This is obviously ignoring the CGC and 4 MCs awarded to REME NCOs in the last 13 years. How many Corps can match that tally?

Perhaps a lot of the RLC gallantry awards for guys "just doing their job" were awarded because the job in question is dismantling IEDs in a very non-permissive environment?? Or members of the high risk search teams who's job was to go and find victim operated IEDs in dodgy places?? Just asking because you seem a bit confused - and incidentally a large number of RLC officers are guilty of exactly what you are accusing REME officers of i.e. not writing guys up for well deserved gallantry awards because " they are just doing their job", yeah right like driving a truck is a dangerous as taking bombs apart by hand - trog w*nkers!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
You part of the Inter-Corps Chip Display Team too ?

Hello All,
There's a new film about Sgt. Wally Harris' exploits that won him the MM in France in '44 up on youtube.

Called :- Above and Beyond: The Craftsman

Interesting watch for serving and ex Reems
Thank you

Excellent item but please refrain from using the word "won" when a person is awarded a medal. Winning a medal happens in sport, being awarded a medal is something special.
8/10 - Good article
Quite, the Americans are fond of stating that so and so won a MoH, purple heart etc.

I'd imagine that anyone who has been awarded a gallantry medal feels anything but a winner

Pretty cool film.

Lt. Col. Johnstone looks like one of my favourite pron stars Jenny Jerky. A femdom handjob expert

No WHT for the Browning, a massive lack of before use registers being filled in for all the kit being used. Now days he'd be hung out to dry......