Sgt Talaiyasi Labalaba

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by No_Duff, Jul 28, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Heads up chaps: The BBC have recorded a programme about Sgt Talaiyasi Labalaba SAS (Killed in action at Marbat) as part of their Radio 4 Series New Elizabethans. The programme is being transmitted on Tues 31July at 1245 hrs.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Mirbat
  3. Yeah, I wouldn't have known otherwise.

Thanks for that.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I've always had a fascination with Mirbat. It must have been the most trouser staining incident possible but also the ultimate testament to the difference a well trained British soldier can do.

Also one of the best war films never made. (The Korean war and Falklands have been done but not good enough.)
  5. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Should be interesting. I've read a number of accounts of the battle. One of the most readable is a 'factional' one in 'They Stood in the Door'.
  6. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Which one?
  7. As a tattoo collector I can also only envy the exclusivity of that one.
  8. Does anyone remember the film "A hill in Korea", I believe Stanley Baker was in it, a tribute to the National Servicemen who fought out there there.
  9. HMV do it for a tenner IIRC Michael Caine is in it as a bit part.
  10. There is a show called SAS heros, last stand in Oman which IIRC covered it pretty well in so much as I recognized it from the book Soldier I but they could both be BS for all I know.
  11. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

did he get a posthumous medal in the end ??
  12. That would spoil it for everyone.
  13. He'd already got the British Empire Medal for Dofar, then got an MiD in 1972 as far as I know.
  14. There are calls, still to award the VC from inside the community. A large statue of him with his GPMG stands outside the mess at Credenhill...very impressive.