Sgt Talaiyasi Labalaba

Heads up chaps: The BBC have recorded a programme about Sgt Talaiyasi Labalaba SAS (Killed in action at Marbat) as part of their Radio 4 Series New Elizabethans. The programme is being transmitted on Tues 31July at 1245 hrs.

Heads up chaps: The BBC have recorded a programme about Sgt Talaiyasi Labalaba SAS (Killed in action at Marbat) as part of their Radio 4 Series New Elizabethans. The programme is being transmitted on Tues 31July at 1245 hrs.
Mirbat

I've always had a fascination with Mirbat. It must have been the most trouser staining incident possible but also the ultimate testament to the difference a well trained British soldier can do.

Also one of the best war films never made. (The Korean war and Falklands have been done but not good enough.)

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Should be interesting. I've read a number of accounts of the battle. One of the most readable is a 'factional' one in 'They Stood in the Door'.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
As a tattoo collector I can also only envy the exclusivity of that one.

Does anyone remember the film "A hill in Korea", I believe Stanley Baker was in it, a tribute to the National Servicemen who fought out there there.

Does anyone remember the film "A hill in Korea", I believe Stanley Baker was in it, a tribute to the National Servicemen who fought out there there.
HMV do it for a tenner IIRC Michael Caine is in it as a bit part.

There is a show called SAS heros, last stand in Oman which IIRC covered it pretty well in so much as I recognized it from the book Soldier I but they could both be BS for all I know.

Should be interesting. I've read a number of accounts of the battle. One of the most readable is a 'factional' one in 'They Stood in the Door'.
There were nine of them there, but the accounts I've seen only seem to detail the actions of eight of them. Does this version improve on this, or am I missing something?

Whilst in Thumrait, Oman, a young 22 SAS officer wanted to go and see where the action took place and as "Them" were mostly some place else, I got dobbed to go with him.....................we found Mirbat...........................and I photographed the wrong f*cking Fort.

Currently available on DVD. Black and white, and including Michael Caine in his first not entirely acting role. Probably a fair reflection of drills of the time, but must raise a few eyebrows to see men patrolling with weapons slung.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Aviation 26
Forces_Sweetheart Seniors 30
Stained_Eligius Seniors 6