Sgt/Sjt, whats the story?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by In-the-Van, Aug 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Okay, could'nt answer daughters question, so I am asking you lot.

Topical question, what with the homecoming of Sjt Mcaleese. Why have the RGJ traditionally spelt Sgt with a 'J', as in serjeant?

Serious question, so sensible answers please.

2. Regimental tradition nothing more
  3. I wondered about that. I just thought it was a spelling error on website. :?
  4. my understanding is that Sjt was the traditional spelling, Sgt is the more modern version...the light division (for the same unknown reason that they do strange drill) retained the traditional spelling
  5. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

From wikipedia

Wiki - Sgt/Sjt
  6. From memory (usually poor) the "j" was a tradition from the Ox and Bucks (1RGJ) as far as I remember 2RGJ and 3RGJ used "g". However with the forming of The Rifles the thinking was that the use of "j" would be a link between the old LI and RGJ regiments. At least that is how it was once explained to me.
  7. Aha! I knew it was only one of the Regular battalions but couldn't remember which. ISTR they also sported blackened cap badges.
  8. The LI used Sjt; Reg and TA Bns
  9. it was also a rank used by the machine gun corp in WW1
  10. The "J" was passed down by the 43rd Oxfordshire Light Infantry and was adopted by the Bucks when they amalgamated under the Caldwell reforms. As a matter of interest they also refered to the thie Coys as "Letter A Coy" or "Letter B Coy". 2RGJ (KRRC) and 3RGJ (RB) used the G. 2rgj wore a black capbadge throughout the 80's.
  11. I was an RGJ cadet before I joined up, and we used to take liberties with the uniform and wear a blackened cap badge. Even as cadets we used to say "Letter A company", etc. Didn't mean anything to us at the time, just how it was as it was never explained to us.
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Not 100% right, pre options for change, 1LI used the G spelling and this seems to have changed when the Bns shuffled up or down a number!
    The Light Div was 2 regiments formed from about 10 older regiments (pre D&D and RGBW) in the 60's these county regiments had endured amalgamations for many years and some had histories over 300 years. Spellings come and go and a lot depends upon CO's. Now when the LI was a 4 regiment brigade and amalgamated into a 3 Bn regiment many traditions were shared around although some bns and even companies had a special feel to them, C Coy 1LI was the country boys of Somerset and Cornwall but well manned from across the whole country. It still had to use the youngest Cornishman to present a big Pasty to the outgoing General etc.
    We got an OC in 85 from Cornwall who transferred in from 3 LI and couldnt elieve how west country his command was!
  13. My understanding has been that Sejeant is the military spelling. I think I am right in saying that the Guards still use this form as well. As does the Serjeant-at-Arms in the House of Commons, a role with military origin. For whatever reason I believe civilians appointments eg police sergeant always used the g. At some point after WW2, most of the military started to adopt the civilian form, no doubt on some War Office direction that perhaps more independently-minded regiments chose to ignore!
  14. no LSgt/Sgt/CSgt in Bde of Gds
  15. Sjt was brought over to the Rifles by the LI guys as opposed to the RGJ,