Sgt R Quin WW2 Veteran, Help/Thoughts

On behalf of some folks on Mrs RR's side of the family I have been doing some research into Sgt Quin. I have come up with some bits and pieces but what puzzles me is the referance to the Duke of Wellingtons Regiment and The Royal Armoured Corps. A couple of the family members have always maintained Ron was a Tank Commander and was "blown up" as they put it. Has anyone any thoughts on the D of Boots and the RAC thing, what I haven't found yet is where he was actually killed. I know where he is buried and luckily enough via the volunteers in that area have requested a photo of his grave which the family will be chuffed about.
The snip below is from Ancestry.uk
1594324749984.png

Bodenplatte

War Hero
Some infantry battalions were converted to tanks. Guards Armd Div is best known example, but other units were similarly employed.
Can't recall any straight off, but I know one of the Churchill Crocodile regiments in Normandy was one. Edit: 141 Regiment RAC was formed from a Battalion of Buffs using Crocodile
1594325901530.png

Some others (Not Crocs)

34th Army Tank Brigade
Created: 1 Dec 1941

NW Europe Campaign: 3 July 1944 to 31 August 1945.

Units
155 – Brigade HQ
156 – 107th Royal Armoured Corps
157 – 147th Royal Armoured Corps
158 – 153rd Royal Armoured Corps
5th Battalion Kings Own Royal Regt
10th Battalion Royal Hampshire Regt
8th Battalion Essex Regt (Replaced on 4 September 44 by the 9th RTR)

Last edited:
He'd be 145 RAC, which were part of 21 Tank Brigade (Churchill tanks). 18th September was right in the middle of the Battle of Rimini.

Look at that, the power of ARRSE in a matter of minutes, cheers chaps, know now exactly where to dig.
There is an out of print unit history that was published by Pen & Sword/Leo Cooper if you can find a copy. I foolishly didn't buy it when I saw it.

On behalf of some folks on Mrs RR's side of the family I have been doing some research into Sgt Quin. I have come up with some bits and pieces but what puzzles me is the referance to the Duke of Wellingtons Regiment and The Royal Armoured Corps. A couple of the family members have always maintained Ron was a Tank Commander and was "blown up" as they put it. Has anyone any thoughts on the D of Boots and the RAC thing, what I haven't found yet is where he was actually killed. I know where he is buried and luckily enough via the volunteers in that area have requested a photo of his grave which the family will be chuffed about.
The snip below is from Ancestry.uk
View attachment 488440
This any use to you.

Also found this. I'ts 10 yrs old but might be something to follow up. Scroll down to the post by 145croc ETA I've just read the whole thread and it has some interesting bit's.

Last edited:

Bodenplatte

War Hero
Ronnie Quin mentioned here

My father was a Sgt with 145RAC, and I've been researching his military history. Back in 2007, my brother and I visited the Coriano Ridge War Cemetery. While there, I took photos of all the gravestones of the men from the Royal Armoured Corps. I've checked them and your uncle's is among them. Your uncle was L/Cpl 7948545 R T Hall, He was killed on 18/9/44 aged 24 years. On 18/9/44, the regiment attacked San Martino and a number of men were killed. From what I've learned, my father was very fortunate to survive that day. Some of my fater's 'mates' are buried there (Ronnie Quin being one of them). Ronnie was killed the same day as your uncle, and I'm therefore pretty certain that my father would have known your uncle too.

I have a copy of the 145RAC War Diary - I got it via the Tank Museum at Bovington. I've had a quick look, but can't find any reference to your uncle.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Ronnie Quin mentioned here

My father was a Sgt with 145RAC, and I've been researching his military history. Back in 2007, my brother and I visited the Coriano Ridge War Cemetery. While there, I took photos of all the gravestones of the men from the Royal Armoured Corps. I've checked them and your uncle's is among them. Your uncle was L/Cpl 7948545 R T Hall, He was killed on 18/9/44 aged 24 years. On 18/9/44, the regiment attacked San Martino and a number of men were killed. From what I've learned, my father was very fortunate to survive that day. Some of my fater's 'mates' are buried there (Ronnie Quin being one of them). Ronnie was killed the same day as your uncle, and I'm therefore pretty certain that my father would have known your uncle too.

I have a copy of the 145RAC War Diary - I got it via the Tank Museum at Bovington. I've had a quick look, but can't find any reference to your uncle.
Duke of Boots, West yorkshire, yes?

I'd try here:

https://www.wyjs.org.uk › archive-service
Please contact us by telephone 0113 535 0155 or by email leeds@wyjs.org.uk prior to planning your visit. Staff will advise you on whether to reserve a table, a computer or a microfiche reader, depending on which records you wish to consult.
I've told before how I found a DLI War Diary on microfiche in Durham Records Office. Costs a phone call. They can only say no.

DWR Regimental Museum is Bankfield Museum, Halifax. It's actually very good but there's nothing especially 145 RAC on exhibit apart from a model Churchill tank.
The Curator, John Spencer, is an excellent bloke and may be able to provide some steers.
I believe 'Mr Churchills Tank' by David Fletcher is the authority on Churchill units although there are other Churchills in Italy specific books.

Coriano Ridge is one of the less well remembered battles IMO.
Mi Dad was there with 1st Armoured Div. They'd spent a year doing little in N. Africa and then had to travel the length of Italy within only a few days - straight into this very bloody battle which resulted in the Division being dissolved and reformed into other formations.

North Irish Horse had left 25th Tank Bde to become senior unit of 21st Tank Bde of which 145 was a junior unit. I mention this because the NIH history will also have details of the Bdes involvement.

@Listy - Pretty slick with the maps there!
I've got most of the war diaries for 1st Fd Sqn RE, mi Dad's unit in 1st Armoured but without maps the GRs are a bit pointless. Is locating these maps part of your research or did you just happen to have these generally.

I'm hoping to trace his footsteps on an Italian holiday sometime, maybe locate the site of the Bailey Bridge they were supposed to backstrip but sold to the inhabitants of nearby village.

@Listy - Pretty slick with the maps there!
I've got most of the war diaries for 1st Fd Sqn RE, mi Dad's unit in 1st Armoured but without maps the GRs are a bit pointless. Is locating these maps part of your research or did you just happen to have these generally.

I'm hoping to trace his footsteps on an Italian holiday sometime, maybe locate the site of the Bailey Bridge they were supposed to backstrip but sold to the inhabitants of nearby village.
A massive amount of experience in looking for small unit actions. Generally most actions will have been discussed before on a forum. Feeding a few key words into the search function on those forums will often provide a wealth of material. I consider these forums my default set of tools that I apply to a problem first to see if they can solve it.
Imagine if you will, you put several thousand historians, and subject matter experts like @Signalman, in one place sprinkle with a few vets of the actions, shake, and let them have a conversation that meanders over every aspect of WWII.

Then you add an effective search function to it.

That's what these forums are.

For the Allies, mostly seems to be UK/Commonwealth centric:

And for Axis side of things, although it can come up trumps on other nations, and seems to have a more European poster base:

On Axishistory, a lot of posters are not native english speakers so language can be a bit muddled, and use different standards (you should see some of the equipment short hands), for example "grenades" often means "shells", but you can get used to it.

Right, now that my secrets are out, I'm going to look a lot less knowledgable.

Cheers, I haven't been on WW2Talk for ages. Agree with one of the forum gurus that veteran testimony can often be sus (likewise some 'experts') but met some other good researchers and it's filling in the gaps - especially with maps

It's a bloody shame that Gerry Chester (and his NIH website) has shuffled off this mortal coil, as he'd have been on this like a tramp on chips.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
That's what these forums are.

For the Allies, mostly seems to be UK/Commonwealth centric:
I stumbled across this,

a few years ago. It gave me greater insight into a dark day in my regiment's history, as related by someone there to his son.

As a result, son joined the regimental Facebook group and when father subsequently passed on, the Association was able to show their respect to the last survivor of the battle.

I stumbled across this,

a few years ago. It gave me greater insight into a dark day in my regiment's history, as related by someone there to his son.

As a result, son joined the regimental Facebook group and when father subsequently passed on, the Association was able to show their respect to the last survivor of the battle.
Looks like a suitable battle for an article... I maybe stealing that in the not to distant future.

Latest Threads