Sgt Nightingale Guilty - Sentence to follow

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by UberMong, Jul 10, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just been reported on Radio 5

No link yet

2. Good. Got what he deserved - he seemed to think that just because he was one of "them" he was above the law. Of course if he had handed it as per the range declaration he could have avoided all this..........

• Like Like x 5
  3. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

It was sadly inevitable, his mrs should have kept her trap firmly shut.

Whilst I know he's guilty I genuinely hope his service and record gives him the least amount of custodial.

Not a great day for anyone involved.

• Like Like x 25
  4. Wholeheartedly agreed P_g. As for why he did it, I guess that only he will ever know... As for his wife, words almost fail me other than stupid c**! It's their children that I really feel sorry for.

5. The news report said they did not expect any sentencing before tomorrow.

As I understand it he was sentenced at the same time as Soldier N who is now out of MCTC and back with the Regiment.

It was announced ahead of the retrial that Sgt Nightingale was to be medically discharged before the end of 2013. It would seem logical to presume this will mean that he will see out his sentence in a civilian prison as sentence is unlikely to complete while he is still a soldier which would preclude MCTC.

I don't think anyone takes pleasure in this but the law on holding hand guns is hardly a secret.

6. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Not sure what happens if committed of a crime leading to a custodial, will he not just be discharged from the colours?

That wife and the sun and its readers need to find that Glock and shoot themselves in the feet with it.

• Like Like x 3
  7. I take no pleasure in this result, but I cant help but feel that had Mrs N been a little quieter, and had he just done his time, he would have been out of the nick (assuming 50% remission in MCTC?) and well on his way back to life in the Regt by now. Instead he is now looking at a potentially longer sentence, which may well be in a civilian prison. Was the campaign to free him really worth it?

• Like Like x 3
  8. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

After the recent 'complete denial' gambit, I think this conclusion was inevitable. He appears to have been very badly advised, or rather foolish banked too much on the 'poor, hard done by "hero"' angle. Still, I expect there is a best selling book to come out somewhere down the line. I bagsy the free copy to review.

9. There you go then. The court didn’t believe him and i can’t believe he tried to stitch up Soldier N. What ever happened to his loyalty towards his fellow soldiers and his integrity?. I think he got his just deserts.

10. Just heard on the BBC news that he'd accused 'somebody else' of planting it in his pit. Is that a new one?

tac

11. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

I wonder if there will now be any action to discover how widespread breaking range rules is and who should be held ultimately responsible for letting it happen.

I also wonder if there will be any counselling of the Pres of the original CM regarding not applying the alleged minimum sentence.

12. This is not, sadly, surprising. Blokes will batter each other and declare their everlasting hatred for their enemies, but will split up and get on with their lives, never dreaming of "dobbing their enemy in" as I believe the saying goes.

Ex-wives and partners, by contrast, are often utterly vindictive and think that it's the easiest way to "get back at their ex". Then they wonder why they get referred to as "snakes with accessories", and Mumsn*t wonder why we regard them as screeching harpies.

I know it was illegal, but it wasn't exactly going to be the cause of a gang-war. General Monty died peacefully, only for his NOK to find a Luger in perfect working order hidden in his personal safe. Far too much fuss is made about firearms in this country; in most other places, they're just a working tool, or "something to have - not to be used, just to have".

• Like Like x 1
  13. Considering he's been advised not to say anything, hes being very chatty in front of the Court Marshall Centre!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk