Sgt Danny Nightingale, betrayed and banged up

Looks like a point is being made. Not for the first time either.

Does sound as though the court was seeking to make an example

Money on that he will be out in less that 4 weeks. If you believe everything in the article, he should never have been charged, and he certainly should never have been imprisoned. Hopefully a decent outcome will come through for the bloke.

Doesnt clarify if he had ammunition for it as well, which could have made a difference to the outcome.

Maybe the aim was to make an example of those bringing 'Trophies' home from tours etc

Maybe you are right.

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
The judge advocate is a ****, and should of listened to the prof about the memory loss, given him a rap on his knuckles and sent him on his way, or at the most suspended the sentence.
Someone somewhere wanted this result or did the judge just want to flex his muscles?

it is a bullshit outcome that serves no purpose.
True. Even if it is a crime, technically, there is really no victim, and handing down a sentence like that does more harm than good. Sounds like the guy was hung out to dry when he deserved the benefit of the doubt. What a shit hole this country this is turning out to be.

He recovered but his memory was severely damaged, according to two expert witnesses

We're in danger of developing a culture in the forces where we become a bit too precious.

Remember the outcry (on this site as much as elsewhere) when those Marines were arrested for allegedly killing a wounded Taliban? Well, that's just not allowed. Equally here we have a bloke with a pistol at home. That, also, is not allowed. If you think that this article is giving the whole story rather than stoking the outrage bus prior to Remembrance Day you're being naive. And if he has broken the law, how does the proximity to Remembrance Day have any bearing?

Bloke breaks law and goes to prison. What if it was a gang member using "memory loss" as an alibi? Would you be so accepting then?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

We're in danger of developing a culture in the forces where we become a Brit too precious.

Remember the outcry (on this site as much as elsewhere) when those Marines were arrested for allegedly killing a wounded Taliban? Well, that's just not allowed. Equally here we have a bloke with a pistol at home. That, also, is not allowed.
It wasn't the fact that he was 'done' that I found surprising, so much as the manner in which (if true) he appears to have been coerced into making a guilty plea, something he now clearly regrets doing. Do CMs now have proper Barristers to represent the accused?

D

Deleted 20555

I'd be slightly worried having a very forgetful Speshul Forces bloke wandering around the fecking landscape - I mean a Glock today wtf is he going to forget tomorrow???

Now if he said something along the lines "Oh blast - fair fecking cop - thought I could get away with it because of my black nasty and I really really wanted one" - that I could believe and would all for giving him a rap on the knuckles and telling him not to be such a tit in future.

Of course may lack of sympathy is that I had an excellent Tokarev lifted by some smirking twat of a MP once upon a time.