SFA over entitlement

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Tubbyboy, Apr 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

Just a quick question as I haven't found anything on here and don't know who to approach outside of ARRSE....

The background is that I am based in an area with a large number of surplus large OR quarters, my wife and I cannot have children so will never be eligible for more than the pokey 2-bed we're currently in.

Who would I approach to request a move to a larger surplus quarter? I am perfectly willing to pay the extra for more space and I don't even want to claim disturbance for the move.

Also, how likely am I to get it? (I expect the answer to be slim to none!)

My main reason for wanting more space is that we have several dogs (who we regard in the same way that other couples might see their children) and it would be easier to manage in a larger quarter.

Many thanks in advance,

2. Read JSP 464 for the rules on this. Apply through Defence Housing as normal. It will depend on how many 3 bedroom MQs are available and how long they stay empty for. If there is high demand expect to be turned down.

Oh and I think in JSP 464 limits dog ownership in MQs to two so dont go putting down you run a kennel as your reason for a larger MQ.

Good Luck.
  3. Sadly mate dogs dont count (although I did have a friend put his two cats down as dependants and he got a house) but normally its a letter via your unit welfare officer to the garrison housing chief asking for a betterment move, stating that you understand this will be at your own expense and your willing to pay the difference in qtr costs and that your willing to move again should the sudden need arrive (ie all the spare qtrs are filled and somebody needs yours however the odds of that happening are slim to zero).
    However if your at a unit who moves once every 7 years it shouldnt be a problem but if like me (an Engr) who moves every 3 years you fill a larger house with furniture then you move to a smaller house and get the "shouldnt have bought so much furniture then" statement which is frustrating but in the eyes of the chiefs its fair.
  4. Thanks,

I should really have read 464 more thoroughly....

Have now done so and I can't see any rules about the number of dogs, but it does specifically mention privately financed mid-tour moves and also addresses surplus SFA.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction,

5. No limit on dogs as far as I am aware. We've had up to four, one has recently died.
  6. The dog thing may be a local issue to me where I am, will dig out my license to occupy if I can find it :)
  7. Never heard of the 'two dog rule', but if it is enforced as stringently as the 'two can rule' usually is then no worries.